Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Default Non-Conformist families in early PRs

As I'm working my way through parish registers, I am finding the occasional non-conformist or dissenting family who have asked for their children's names to be recorded in the parish register. Often these lists are not with the other baptisms, and are not in chronological order of the register, so would be difficult to locate if one was searching for them.

So this is a thread for non-conformist or dissenting family lists found in Parish Registers (not Non-Conformist Registers) and may be of use to others in the future.

to start with:

At St. Mary the Virgin, Broomfield, Essex (Ref: D/P 248/1/1 image 54)

Pg. 74

"Children Baptised by Non-conformist as is said

Henry sonn of Henry NEVILL and Mary his wife was baptised November 9th 1686
    William the sonn of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born November 30th 1685
    Mary the daughter of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born December 18th 1687
    Richard the sonn of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born January 3rd 1689
    Elizabeth ye daughter of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born March 9 and baptised March 15 1691
    John the son of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born March 8 and baptised March 12 1693
    Sarah ye daughter of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born October 1 and baptised October 12 1696
    Abigail the daughter of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born April 14 and baptised April 26 1698
    Ann the daughter of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born July 16 and baptised July 18 1699
    James the son of William KNIGHT and Mary his wife was born August 22 and baptised September 4 1700
    George KNIGHT the son of widow KNIGHT was born May 4 and baptised May 11 1704 "

Knowledgeable and helpful

The following may be of interest and may explain some entries in the registers and indeed reasons for expected entries not being registered.

This was entered into the register of Bugbrook Parish, Northamptonshire 1668.

“memorand. That about this time that untoward generation of Quakers began to bury their’s Distinctly by themselves, in their gardens and orchards, in severall places of the towne, all which burials (there being no notice given of them to the minister or parish clerke) are therefore here omitted, (nor) have their names (been) inserted in this Church Register, though there was a considerable mortality among them ; as, also those of severall others sorts of Phanaticks, who, having forsaken the Church, would not be buried in the churchyard, but in their orchards and backside of their houses…

It also goes on to mention in Northampton the burial registers of the town contain the names of all persons who died in the several parishes, even when they were not buried in the churchyard.

The full paper this has been extracted from may be downloaded free at
    https://anguline.co.uk/free.html scroll down to The Parish Registers of Northampton.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Guy, that is very interesting, and would explain the missing burials at that time. In Essex, I have only come across one parish which had an early Quaker burial ground area within the parish church yard, and I think that was Great Dunmow, which I will go back to as I'm sure it had some lists of dissenters in the register.

Famous for offering help & advice

I came across these in the General Register for Fakenham, Norfolk. They are added at the bottom of the Baptisms page.

N.B. February 11th 1734-5 was born Edmund the son of Joseph & Ann PECKOVER (FamilySearch Fakenham Bap,Marr & Bur 1719-58 image 30 of 58).
    April 10th 1736 was born Catharine of Joseph & Ann PECKOVER (FamilySearch Fakenham Bap,Marr & Bur 1719-58 image 31 of 58).
    N.B. August 21 1737 was born Joseph of Joseph & Ann PECKOVER (FamilySearch Fakenham Bap,Marr & Bur 1719-58 image 31 of 58).
    August 5 1739 was born Ann of Joseph & Ann PECKOVER (FamilySearch Fakenham Bap,Marr & Bur 1719-58 image 32 of 58).
    March 11 1741-2 was born Edmund of Joseph & Ann PECKOVER (FamilySearch Fakenham Bap,Marr & Bur 1719-58 image 33 of 58).

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Mitch for that contribution.

As I'm going through the burial register of Witham early 1700s, I'm noticing many Quakers being buried from other parishes, so I'm assuming that Witham had a section for Quakers, and that Quakers would travel further to use a designated Quaker burial ground.

Would it be useful to index all the Quaker burials in the burial registers? (not that I haven't got enough to do, as I'm also databasing all adult baptism too lol).

Eventually they should end up on FreeReg, but I suspect many researchers may overlook a burial or baptism if they are not in the expected parish (or with adult baptism, the expected year).

Wilkes_ml

At St. Andrew, Shalford, Essex at the end of the 1757 burials (not with the baptisms in their rightful place)

Not technically non-conformist as the parish vicar baptised them (I am assuming after the decease of their Quaker father)

baptised 23rd July 1717 Goodman SMITH's 4 children

Ann SMITH aged 12 years
    Daniel SMITH aged 9 years
    Mary SMITH aged 6 years
    Ruth SMITH aged 1 1/2 years

"The reason why they were not baptised before was because their father was a Quaker but they were then baptised by me

Wilkes_ml

Holy Cross, Felsted, Essex (D/P 99/1/4) at the end of the register (image 71)

Quaker children born in the parish of Felsted:

Ann HURRELL daughter of George HURRELL and Ann his wife born 31st August 1706
    George HURRELL son of George HURRELL and Ann his wife born 11th February 1717
    Joseph son of Joseph FOSTER & Mary his wife born 6th April 1729
    Mary daughter of Joseph FOSTER & Mary his wife born 18th June 1730
    Joseph son of Joseph FOSTER & Mary his wife born 20th June 1731

Wilkes_ml

In the parish Register of St. Mary the Virgin, Great Dunmow, Essex (D/P 11/1/2)
    At the end of baptisms 1705

"Then follow ye names of such children as their parents being dissenters do not receive ye Holy Mystery of Baptism according to ye Usage of ye Church of England " and all the children born in the year 1705 but not baptised were listed ( and there were a lot!). Prior to this children born but not baptised were entered amongst the baptisms, but the date was in brackets and many entries did not specify that the parents were dissenters, though many Quakers were noted as such.

tanveer shah

I enjoyed reading this posts was very informative,Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I'm sure it'll greatly benefit the community.

Wilkes_ml

I'm glad you are enjoying this post...you may also be interested in my other ones I have on the go. Late Baptisms and travellers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast