harleyallison

Smile What's happening in Llandaff in 1880 ?

I am researching my great grandmother's family and found them living in LLandaff in the 1881 census.Does anyone know what was happening in Llandaff around 1880 as I have seen the population 1,276 people in the 1841 census rise to 17,950 in the 1881 census.
    My great grandmother's parents were living in Llantrisant in 1871 and living in Glyntaff between 1871 and 1881.
    I know that there were many coal mines in and around the Rhondda which many of my ancesters worked at that time but I am unsure of Llandaff.I have tried to look but have come up with nothing so any information will be gladly appreciated.
    Last edited by harleyallison; 05-10-2013 at 3:42 PM. Reason: wrong word

gasser

Have you seen this......... https://www.llandaffcity.co.uk/page32.html

Cardiff as a whole was quite a small place until the advent of the railways when it became a boomtown. All that coal and iron and steel had to be shipped out somewhere and so the little docks grew and grew and people flocked in because there were jobs. The smaller housing closer to the docks was for the manual workers while the houses that were built further away from the docks were for the clerks and office workers - mostly men at that time - Llandaff was a small village outside Cardiff that was subsumed into the suburbs. There were, of course small terraces for local workers but mostly the bigger houses were for the bosses and what we call white-collar workers.
    OH and the Industrial School in Llandaff would have come into being around the the middle of the century, this was where the orphans were put to teach them a trade so that they could be sent out to work - like Oliver Twist.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

harleyallison

Yes I have seen this.Thank you.