apowell

Default hadley family of Ramrod hall

Hi,

I'm related to the Hadleys of Rowley Regis by my Grandmother and have managed to trace this side of my family back to the 18th century. My direct ancestor Isaac Hadley who lived with his family in Mincing lane (near ramrod hall) at least from the 1800's onwards. I've found on the IG and freeReg sites mention of his children being born of mincing lane and also his death at the same place. Isaac and at least one of his sons William (my ancestor) were gun ramrod makers and also other Hadleys I found on freeReg living near mincing lane were also gun ramrod makers. I found Hadleys from this area all marrying at St Peter's church Harborne, Staffordshire with two marrying into the Goode families. My ancestor Isaac married Sarah Plant 1802 and a Joseph Hadley was one of the witnesses, Joseph also appears as a witness on another Hadley married around the same time.

Isaac's son William appears in trade directories from 1861 as a gun ramrod and breech pin maker.

Does anyone know anymore information on the Hadley family who lived at Ramrod hall, dates and names etc so I could match or not with my ancestor because I feel I may have a family connection somewhere down this line.

The information I found suggests Ramrod hall wasn't that grand but a cottage, some land and workshop.

I wonder why Harborne church seemed to be the church of choice to marry

Was this gun ramrod making a skilled job

Any help would be fantastic.

All the best
    Adrian

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you internet search you will find lots of information about Rowley Regis which might give you some leads.

One such site is https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/402/links

Another - https://www.worcesterbmsgh.co.uk/parish/rowley-regis

pippycat

I came across mention of the Hadley family at Ramrod Hall - if you google: ramrod hall.rowley
    (the 1st entry) its a forum.
    - somebody states the Hadley family were long term tenants of Ramrod Hall Farm and were the family who built Ramrod Hall...there's more info so have a read.

Of course Adrian, it could be you who posted on the forum in the first place, so you would already know all this!!

Rebecca

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Wolverhampton archive have a file on Ramrod farm (ref.D-NAJ/D/2/139A: Book 139A: The Ramrod Farm, Rowley Regis ([early 1890s]))
    It might be worth contacting them

apowell

Hi everyone,

Great suggestions which I will gladly follow up.

I'm just wondering does anyone have access to trade directories because I'm wondering if Isaac Hadley gunsmith was listed for Rowley Regis or maybe Harborne from 1790-1840.

Kind regards
    Adrian

I know this is an old thread but if you are still out there Adrian, I know quite a lot about the Hadleys and Ramrod Hall, my 2 x Great Grandmother, Letitia Hadley was daughter of Daniel Hadley, he was born in and lived in Ramrod Hall. At the time of either his marriage, or Letitia's baptism, he gave his occupation as a Ramrod Maker.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Welcome to British-Genealogy, BlackCountryGal.

Unfortunately, Adrian is no longer a forum member, as noted by the 'guest' under his username.
    However you never know who might suddenly pop up with a connection to the Hadleys and to whom you might offer help.

Also, remember that help goes both ways, so if you're stuck with one of your relatives, do ask.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam, he has seen the post and messaged me.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCountryGal View Post
    Thanks Pam, he has seen the post and messaged me.
    Ah, something is ringing a bell that Adrian re-joined the forum with another user name. I could be wrong, so will say no more.
    Good to know that contact has been made, so thanks for the update.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”