Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Glessing Brooks b 1886.

Help desperately required now. I have truly hit a brick wall with this one...
    George glessing brooks. Born 1886 in Plymouth. Can trace him on every census available, but he then disappears. His last known address was shown on his marriage certificate to lily lack in 1912. His address was then 27 Abingdon road, Kensington. His occupation was dairy foreman.
    He then disappears without a trace. I cannot find a change of name. Emigration record. Death record. It seems strange that I cannot find any ww1 enlistment for him either...I am sure he wasn't in a reserved occupation..and living in Plymouth?? My grandmother remembers being sent pasties, presumably from Plymouth, and that he had an address there.
    After a whole day at Plymouth library, looking through everything, I still drew a blank. I cannot find a record of any family grave in Plymouth either, even though they died there.
    His mother, Rosetta Julia glessing brooks died in 1897. His father Alfred brooks died in 1915. He had numerous brothers and sisters, so have been hoping over the years that they would look too, bug to no avail.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for reading this! Emma.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a family tree at Ancestry which has their marriage certificate and also shows 4 children born 1914-1918. Whilst it does not have a death date for him it gives Lily a death date of 1973 in Wandsworth, London.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, think that is my family tree on ancestry! Yes, lily did not know what happened to him, they never got a divorce. She went to live with her brother in Wandsworth until she died. Thank you for looking! I will find him eventually....

Brick wall demolition expert!

I hope you are successful, but not long ago there was a thread on here about people who will never be found. For instance, somebody who dies out of their home area without any identification and without anybody looking for them.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you checked London electoral registers? Quite a few George Brooks tho' I never found a George Glessing Brooks, several Lily names too usually with Henry or someone else.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

usernick

It might also be worth finding out Metropolitan Police Records, as there's a record of a George Glessing Brooks from the National Archives:

"George Glessing Brooks, warrant number 93910. Joined on 29 Oct 1906, and left on 22 April 1907. Last posted to N Division as a PC."

He might have transferred to another Police force?

Cheers,

Nick

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks waitabit,
    I would not know where to start with London electoral role regs. I presume they are not online and that I would have to go to kew? Also, his last address, he was shown as a boarder only. How would I look him up in the registers? Or is it all by address first? Or as megan says, maybe he did not want to be found! Thank you!