Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BCBJR

Default William Joseph Edwards B. 1780 Tilbury, Shro

I am searching for William Joseph Edwards, my GGG Grandfather. I have information from other trees on Ancestry.com as follows: Born Abt. 1780 in Tilbury, Shropshire, England. Death in Oct-Dec 1856 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, UK. Marriage to Sarah Perry in 1815, Ditton Priors, Shropshire, England.

I would love to see a marriage certificate confirming Sarah Perry as his wife and Birth certificate if possible.

William Joseph's father may be Joseph Edwards and mother's name Elizabeth.

Thank you for any assistance.

Bruce Bearer

Allan F Sparrow

Two quick points:
    Are you sure that the Anc trees are reliable? I have seen plenty with errors in them.
    You will not get a modern-type certificate for any birth, death or marriage before 1837 - that's when official registration began. Before that there were only the parish registers, only some of which are readily available.

If I find anything more helpful, I'll be back - or maybe someone else will get ahead of me!

Allan F Sparrow

A search at FindMyPast was mostly negative: plenty of men named William Edwards, but little to distinguish between them, and nobody specifically William Joseph. I did find the death registration - last quarter of 1856 in West Bromwich - so there would be a certificate for that.

At FamilySearch - which is of course as much available to you as to me - the wedding on 11th June 1815 is listed, several times, and there looks to be a brood of children possibly born of the marriage.

I have not found any baptism, and according to FreeReg there is no parish of Tilbury in Shropshire, which doesn't help.

Allan F Sparrow

Google suggested instead of Tilbury, Delbury, formally spelled Diddlebury. FreeREG has the baptisms for Diddlebury, and there was a William Edwards baptised there on 25th May 1780, but his parents' names were Richard and Susan. No Joseph involved at all.

I have to leave this for now!

Allan F Sparrow

I have now had a quick look at Anc, to no very good effect. I found a William Edwards at Lutwyche, Stanway, Shropshire, in the 1851 census, aged 71, born at Dilbury, Shropshire. He was a farmer (not just an agricultural labourer - the difference was real), apparently a widower, with three sons and a married daughter with children of her own.

The sons were named Thomas, John and James - this may help if you have your tree back that far. The daughter was Mary Downes, and one of her children was born at Ditton Priors.

However, there were so many men called William Edwards in Shropshire that I am not confident of this being your man.

I'm also concerned that he should have had his death registered in West Bromwich: I need to check on registration districts.

Food for thought.

pippycat

I'm also struggling with Tilbury (always thought that was in Essex) however apart from Delbury as already mentioned by Allan there is a Sidbury in Shropshire....not that it helps much with that place name.

What information do you have on William Joseph Edwards (aside from the Trees on Ancestry)
    - is that also where the parents 'Joseph and Elizabeth' came from?
    Any info you have Bruce may help find your William Joseph.

I can't find the marriage of William Joseph Edwards to Sarah Perry.

There are a couple of baptisms for William Edwards, none specifically for a William Joseph though.

William Edwards bap. 27 Dec 1782. Bromsgrove, Worcs.
    parents: Joseph Edwards and Elizabeth
    There is also a Joseph bap. 2 May 1781 to same parents, so not looking good!

William Edwards bap. 2 March 1783. Hartlebury, Worcs
    Mother Elizabeth, no father.

William Edwards bap. 25 June 1780. Old Swinford, Worcs
    parents: Joseph Edwards and MARY.

William Edwards bap 22 Oct 1780. Cottered, Hertfordshire
    parents: Joseph Edwards (a Woolherd) and Elizabeth
    There is a bap for Joseph 15 Nov 1778 to same parents..another one not looking good!

None seem 'right' do they?

Marriages for Joseph Edwards to an Elizabeth:

Joseph Edwards and Elizabeth Griffiths
    31 May 1773 Stanton Lacy, Shrop.

Joseph Edwards batch. of Bromsgrove and Elizabeth Lawrance Sp. of Bromsgrove
    18 April 1773 Bromsgrove. Worcs
    witness; John Southall

Joseph Edwards Wid. a Nailor and Elizabeth Smith
    4 Oct 1770 Rowley, Staffs.
    witness: Joseph Edwards

Joseph Edwards of Clungunford and Elizabeth Davies
    12 Feb 1777 Wistanstow, Shrop.

Joseph Edwards of Condover and Elizabeth Gough
    18 Oct 1770 Meole Brace, Shrop.
    witness: Robert Hughes

1841 Worcs census: 1208 f8 p8
    Blackwell St. Kidderminster

Joseph Edwards 1781 Carpet weaver
    Sarah Edwards 1781
    both born in Worcs - could only work if William used the name Joseph instead

Rebecca

Allan F Sparrow

Good work, Rebecca, but no more confidence-building than my own small contribution!

Dilbury/Delbury/Diddlebury is in Corvedale, near Craven Arms, so if he died at home he would not be in the West Bromwich registration district. And why would an elderly farmer die away from home?

pippycat

Allan

Probably be very wise to ignore my efforts and concentrate on your farmer from Dilbury

That William, I think, is an excellent find on your part Allan so very well done!
    Tilbury - Dilbury, almost twins

Rebecca

To answer your question: I don't know - maybe that elderly farmer was off buying seeds or livestock!
    Last edited by pippycat; 25-09-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added info

Allan F Sparrow

I'm not sure my searches are really getting far

The family that I found in 1851, with William born at Dilbury, appears to have been at Chelmarsh in 1841 - Chelmarsh was the birth-place of some of the family as listed in 1851, so that would make sense.

HOWEVER, the William of 1841 appears to have a wife named MARY, aged 50 - not SARAH

This William was probably one of the three who died in the Church Stretton registration district - which is where he should have died - between 1851 and 1861: he does not appear in the 1861 census, though I did track his son Thomas in the county up to 1871... One of the three Williams died in 1856 third quarter, which is close to the date mentioned by the OP, though not to the place.

I'm going back to my own researches for a while

Allan

pippycat

Allan

Needle in a haystack this one - be easier if we knew we were searching the correct haystack
    - maybe Bruce will have more info on his family.

Rebecca

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast