Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When checking out the newspapers have a look at the York Herald, Sat 11 Dec 1847, which includes John Webster's confessing to the crime. It mentions he was living in Newcastle-on-Tyne when he committed the offence, travelling to Wakefield by train and returning to Newcastle in the stolen gig.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

FMP have several articles from The Hull Packet concerning Thomas DREWERY and his family. One article concerns his wife and family and their trip to Australia. Another gives a copy of the letter he sent to his wife. You can view the articles using their pay per view facility so do not have to take out a full membership.

Janet

wendyar

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    When checking out the newspapers have a look at the York Herald, Sat 11 Dec 1847, which includes John Webster's confessing to the crime. It mentions he was living in Newcastle-on-Tyne when he committed the offence, travelling to Wakefield by train and returning to Newcastle in the stolen gig.
    Thank you, Helachau,
    I do have that pathetic letter by Gr.Gr.Grandpa. Must have had his spirit truly broken be then. I recall my version was in a different paper. I am slowly finding the articles on FMP.
    Wendy

wendyar

Janet,
    I have done that and have found the full version of the Thomas Drewery letter to his wife in the 1848 Hull Packet. Yet to find the former that you mentioned but will look further, shortly.
    Wendy

wendyar

Christanel,
    I am now finding the papers on FMP and have located the particular article I was after in the 1848 Hull Packet. Thanks again everyone!!
    Cheers,
    Wendy

DorothyS

Hi Janet,
    I have been researching THomas Drewery and his story.

I have been lucky to gain free access to the British newspaper articles.

I joined the State Library of Victoria and they have a link to the British Library and from there you can view the British newspapers for free.
    Thomas (1821-1859)and his wife Elizabeth (? - 1863) - their children all seemed to have died in Victoira without having married/or had any children of there own, although I am still researching this. Dorothy

wendyar

Hello Dorothy,
    Curious to know if you actually belong to the Thomas Drewery side of this intriguing research. Do you know where he and his wife are buried??
    Wendy

DorothyS

Default Thomas Drewery What became of his children?

Quote Originally Posted by wendyar View Post
    Hello Dorothy,
    Curious to know if you actually belong to the Thomas Drewery side of this intriguing research. Do you know where he and his wife are buried??
    Wendy
    Hi Wendy,

Thomas Drewery (1821-1859) was buried in Dunolly Victoria -no burial/cemetery record exists I have a copy of his death certificate.
    Elizabeth Drewery (nee Railey) died 1864 Aberdeen Hill Forest creek in Castlemaine see Castlemaine Historical Society burial register

My grt grt grt grandfather Benjamin Drewry may have been a relative of Thomas - am still researching.

My research on what became of their children is proving difficult
    children Ann ,Joseph (dec 1907), Thomas (dec 1917), Robert, Catherine/Kate, William(dec 1862)

Is anyone else researching Thomas Drewery and his family?

Dorothy

wendyar

Dorothy,
    It would be very interesting to locate another Thomas Drewery researcher. I only know of those undertaking the John Webster research, who have included him because of the convict transportation controversy. As this side of the discussion is new, wondering if you noticed the references to Drewery Lane/Place /Alley in Melbourne. One of the Webster researchers is adamant that they were named after "our" Thomas Drewery who apparently became a Melbourne councilor for Gipps in 1851. I have just spent an hour on the net endeavouring to confirm these claims. One source, "eMelbourne" with two separate articles by Alexandra Gerner states on one page, that the Drewery Lane was in fact named after Drury Lane in London while her other page says they were named after chemist, Thomas Drewery who was elected city councilor!! Not much coming up at this stage about the Gipps councilor. Do you have any info about this, or if you have time, perhaps pursue it at the library? I will keep looking here. Yet another source states that pre 1872, Drewery Lane was in fact called Brewery Lane!!
    I have only a record of the first two children. Ann from a census and the second, unnamed in one of the newspaper articles. I assume the other two were born in Australia.
    Some time back I purchased the Surgeon's Report for the "Joseph Somes" in the hope of finding some reference to Thomas. He did not even get a mention. Apparently much cleaner ships by that time and only one person died on the voyage to Australia.
    It would be fantastic to find a direct descendant who knows the entire story and especially to get it from the Drewery point of view. I expect they would have been faced with the usual dilemma of the convict history being swept under the rug.
    Wendy.

DorothyS

Default Drewery researching his children and his life

Hi,

I have been researching Thomas for a couple of years. In that research I have found the same information as u mentioned regarding Drewery and Brewery lane. I believe the name was changed to honour Thomas as he was an early councillor. Although as u rightly say there is little hard evidence, I'm going to research the Map collection held at the State Library Victoria. If that does not help I'm not sure where else to look.

I have not found any records that indicate the children married, or had any children.

I do not know of anyone doing any research on Thomas. The GSV does not have a lot of information on Thomas Drewery.

The newspapers are the best source of information on Thomas.

I intend to write up my research on Thomas Drewery and give a copy to the SLV and GSV and Castlemaine and Dunolly Hist Soc.
    - so there will be some information on his story.

So any information anyone can add will be appreciated and acknowledged

Thanks Dorothy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast