Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dods of Haddington

Hi there,

I'm researching my 3rd Great grandfather, William Dods (1795-1873) of Haddington (seed merchant and banker, friend to Jane Carlyle), and am looking for a family tree written in 1880 by Peter Dods, his son. I have 2 pages of it, but it looks like there are many more pages. I'm hoping there is someone out there from the Dods family still living in East Lothian who may know.

I'd love to make a present day family connection as William was an interesting man and would like to know more about him, his life and family.

I'm also looking for pictures,as we have none. My ancestor is Henry Deans Dods, one of his sons who travelled to New Zealand. More information about any of Williams sons and daughters, and his brothers and sisters, and his parents would be great.

I'd love to find out more about William, but also have no pictures of him or his wife. I'd love to know what he looked like! I have a picture of his son Henry Deans (my GG grandfather), and his wife and cousin, Mary Catherine Dods (daughter of Peter, William's brother).

William was also married to Harriet Shirreff, who I'd like to find out more about too. Its so easy to find out about men, but the women, alas!! My ancestor is Harriet, but William did remarry to Jane Wilkie, so info on her would be good too!

Many thanks in advance for anyone to can shed more light on my family. I live in NZ and the Middleeast so its hard to research from there! Anything I do is only online.

Thanks in advance,

Catherine

Nicolina

in 1861 they lived in Court Street, Haddington (no Census ref)
    Willaim b. 1795
    Jane b. 1809
    William J. b. 1835
    James b. 1839
    Charles F. b. 1841
    Christiana b. 1848
    Harriet b. 1849
    all born Haddington

plus 3 Servant and an 11 year old visitor - Helen C. BRODIE

Nicolina

in 1851 they were at North Side, Market Street and James had a different wife - Harriet b. 1804 in Mungoswells. There was also another son - Henry b. Haddigton in 1843.
    In 1871 they, together with Charles, Christina & Harriet, were living in Haddington

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Nicolina, I already looked at all the census information on ancestry and scotlands people. I'm really trying to discover people who have the same family tree. It's a needle in the hay, stab in the dark kind of thing at the end of the day. I'm trying to trace other descendents backwards and then contact people, but have not reached that far yet.

Waddell1uk has a public tree on ancestry with the following. May be worth getting in touch if you wish to make contact with descendents.
    Father of William and Peter = Peter Dods 1751 married Christian Hewart 1771
    Children of William with Harriet Sherreff
    Peter Dods 1828 – 1905
    John Sherreff Dods 1830 – 1905
    Janet Mylne Dods 1832 – 1838
    William James Dods 1834 – 1863
    George Dods 1836 – 1902
    James Dods 1838 – 1919
    Charles Sherreff Dods 1840 – 1901
    Henry Deans Dods 1842 – 1894
    Christina Harriet Dods 1846 – 1900
    Harriet Shirreff Dods

Children with Jane Wilkie = none

Christanel

It's been a real pleasure chasing William with his horticultural links. Couple of items from The Caledonian Mercury -

7 Aug 1848
    Highland & Agricultural Society Show - Class VII Implements
    For the best pulverising land roller - the premium of five sovereigns to Robert Law, Shettleston. Also commend a medal to William Dods. Haddington

12 March 1842
    For the best acre of Rutabaga seed, raised in the county in 1841 - Mr Wm Dods, seedsman, Haddington

30 Dec 1850
    The ancient fraternity of Gardeners of East Lothian held their monthly competition at Haddington on Tuesday, the 24th inst when the following awards were made
    For the Best Six Onions - First prize to Mr George Fairbain, Athelstansford - 2nd Mr William Dods, Haddington

25 Dec 1851
    Haddington - The East Lothian Agricultural Society held a competition and exhibition of roots at Haddington Friday last ..... The large hall was nearly filled with several parcels of roots ..... The heaviest parcel was sent by Mr William Dods, seedsman, Haddington

(Apologies for enthusing over swedes, turnips etc!!)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Is this the Christian Hewart that married Peter Dods?
    1841 Census (HO107 709 1 1)
    Christian Dods, 65, Ind, Mary Dods, 31, Eliza Dods, 30, Peter Deans, 12, John Deans, 10, all born Haddingtonshire (East Lothian)
    Address Millfield, Haddington

I was drawn to the census entry after coming across this academic achievement and chasing P D Deans -
    TORBRECK HOUSE ACADEMY - the following are pupils who distinguished themselves -
    Livy Class- 1. P D Deans; Horace Class- 1. P D Deans; Caesar Class- 1. P D Deans; Euclid Class- 2. P D Deans (note - a John Deans was 1st)t; 1st French Class- 2. P D Deans; 2nd Book Keeping Class- a 4 way tie for 1st including P D Deans; 1st Geography Class- 1.P D Deans; 1st History Class- 1. P D Deans
    The prize for excellent conduct during the session was unanimously voted to Master Peter Dods Deans, Penston, Haddington, by his fellow students
    (Inverness Courier 7 Aug 1844)

1851 Census HO107 708 22 1
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Here's a link from my website, which refers to Eliza Dods of Haddington, in case you might be interested:

ecclegen.com/
    ministers-n/#NICHOL,%20ROBERT%20BURNS
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 26-06-2018 at 7:10 PM. Reason: as per TOC, url deactivated, copy paste to browser to use

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie15 View Post
    Here's a link from my website, which refers to Eliza Dods of Haddington, in case you might be interested:

ecclegen.com/
    ministers-n/#NICHOL,%20ROBERT%20BURNS
    Thanks so much for that link. It's very interesting reading, and informative. Really appreciated.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

These are great newspaper references. Thankyou so much. Our family in New Zealand still love gardening!