smoody

Default Moodys of England

My Moodys (beginning with Thomas Moody and Ann Lawrence) went to Virginia in the mid 1600s. Trying to get them back across the pond.

Do you have any clue as to where they came from in England?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

smoody

I don't. That is what is frustrating. My last info on an ancestor is Thomas Moody and Ann Lawrence. They married in Weyanoke Parish, Charles City, Virginia. Ann Lawrence is the daughter of William Lawrence and Mary of England. But, I don't know where they lived, either. I'm kind of stumped as to what direction to take. If you have any ideas, that would be awesome! Thanks

There are several public trees on Ancestry for Thomas Moody and Ann Lawrence. They vary as to his date and place of birth, but all seem to think Thomas was the son of Samuel Moody and Mary Boldero. The majority favour a birth year of 1624 in Yorkshire.
    Sue Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    There are several public trees on Ancestry for Thomas Moody and Ann Lawrence. They vary as to his date and place of birth, but all seem to think Thomas was the son of Samuel Moody and Mary Boldero. The majority favour a birth year of 1624 in Yorkshire.
    Ah, I am usually unwilling to quote online trees as they are notoriously prone to inaccuracies, but offered this as a possible starting point. However, I was immediately sceptical of one that offered an exact baptism date in Yorkshire, as Thomas was given the name Thomas S Moody but the transcript of the baptism made it clear that the s stood for son! Moreover, I have found the following at

https://
    genforum.genealogy.com/moody/messages/11201.html

which seems to prove that Thomas Moody, son of Samuel Moody and Mary Boldero of Suffolk, was not the same Thomas Moody who emigrated to Virginia.

The only record I have found that seems to definitely relate to your Thomas is
    Tho. Moody, 1658, Virginia
    which comes from p.369 of NUGENT, NELL MARION. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants, 1623-1666. Vol. 1. Richmond [VA]: Dietz Printing Co., 1934.

Doesn't help in finding out where he was from, but at least eliminates the Thomas, son of Samuel and Mary, who was buried in Suffolk in 1645 and thus could not have emigrated in 1658!
    Sue Mackay

smoody

Default Thomas Moody

Yes, I had seen this assumption before about who Thomas Moody's parents might be. So many people have grabbed onto Thomas Moody and Mary Boldero, without looking at the dates, etc.
    Thank you so much for your response. I am excited that you live in South Wales

Starting to feel at home

I was researching the only Baronet I have found in my family and found that the 3rd baronet of Rishall was married to the daughter of a preacher by the name of Moody. The 3rd baronet left his wife and one son, to go to Australia to mine gold, then died. The 4th baronet was note worthy as the son of Poore and Moody. He was a military man. Contact me and I can likely provide more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Poore View Post
    I was researching the only Baronet I have found in my family and found that the 3rd baronet of Rishall was married to the daughter of a preacher by the name of Moody. The 3rd baronet left his wife and one son, to go to Australia to mine gold, then died. The 4th baronet was note worthy as the son of Poore and Moody. He was a military man. Contact me and I can likely provide more details.
    Unfortunately smoody, the original poster, is no longer a member of the BG forums as indicated by the word 'guest' under their name which means we hold no information about them at all and they will not receive details of your post. The good news is your information is now available for any future researchers.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Yeah, I saw that and thought it likely they will stop back someday. It really seems to take determination to unlock history. I remember when I first saw the connection and thought that was really something.��