Wilkes_ml

Default "The Genealogist" Apprenticeship transcripts

After signing up to "The Genealogist" for a trial period, I discovered that they had "Occupational" records which I searched on, with a subsection of "Apprenticeship" records, however I could not see any actual details or reference of where this material originated from (one thing that really drives me mad...I like to know the source of a dataset without having to hunt it out!)

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find 21 hits on my surname of interest OWERS in Essex, and even happier to find original images.

However, what I have noticed, is that these images are identical to the images provided by the

"UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 on Ancestry" which also gives me the actual image

But, looking at one corresponding transcript entry on "The Genealogist" for one person of interest, the transcript seems to give different data (length of term being 2 years instead of the correct term of 5 years) and more information such as the amount of Apprenticeship fee money paid being £13 3s 0d which isn't mentioned at all in the document and can only be assumed.

I have yet to check all the transcripts against the actual the actual images, but something to beware of, if you do use transcripts rather than original documents. In this case, information is clearly being added that isn't in the original documents.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Michelle,

Do you know that there are two pages to each entry on Ancestry? Why the clowns have copied them as separate pages I will never know, but when you find the page with your person on it you then have to click the arrow forward to the next page where you then get the rest of the details.

ETA: Ooops, just noticed that you talked about images on The Genealogist, so presume you realise that there are 'two halves' (i.e. two pages) to an entry.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 08-09-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added final paragraph.

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Pam, no I didn't realise there were two pages on Ancestry...I'm just going in to take a look now!

Wilkes_ml

Thanks again, I hadn't realised there was a second page....so what do the numbers mean on the first page? the ones with the x in front. Is that the initial term of the indenture, so if in 1790 there was only 2 years left (from the second page) but x5 (from the first page) it means the indenture started in 1787? ie. 3 years done, two years to go and total of 5 years?

I understand that the actual indentures can be difficult to locate, often kept at the Local Record Office if they still exist.

I've got to vanish for a couple of hours as I've got a visitor but if you tell me the entry you're looking at I might be able to understand a little more when I come back.
    I have to say that it's extremely annoying that you can no longer select a specific page number - you can only go backwards and forwards on arrow keys. No help when you're on page 1534 and want to see what's on page 1.

Pam

Wilkes_ml

It was James OWERS 1790 Essex, who was apprenticed to Richard WENDEN of Braintree, Cordwainer, as my John OWERS (son of Abraham & Elizabeth baptised 1801 ) was a cordwainer, and I suspect James was his uncle who may have passed the trade on to him.

The way I read the numbers in the first column with the 'x' in front of them is something similar to a receipt number, because if you look the numbers start afresh each day. Possibly the indentures were given that number as part of a reference, e.g. the date 25 Jun 1790/5 would mean that anyone could go to the register and easily find the details. Dates alone wouldn't work in case you had (for example) two John Smiths apprenticed on the same day.
    The 'x' is merely a check mark - on a page I first looked at it was shown as '+'.

You're lucky that the (second) page you looked at has the 'reason' for the amounts listed at the top of the page - the page I looked at had them chopped off!
    I read James' entry as money was paid on the 25 June 1790 for his apprenticeship which began on 11 May 1790 and it was for two years.

Pam

Wilkes_ml

Thanks, that makes more sense now, but for Friday 25th June 1790, there are 14 people apprenticed, but only 13 numbered with a gap between 6 & 7. Is this likely to just be a clerical error?