Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Default Alternative sources to Parish registers?

What other sources can you recommend, other than wills, for identifying the maiden names of wives when the parish marriage register (of Bardfield Saling, Essex) for the period 1713-1790 is missing and assumed deceased and unlikely to be resuscitated?

I'm pretty new to the early Georgian period so, any good books about useful documents, or recommended websites would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

Usually the first alternative to consider would be Bishop's Transcripts. They don't always survive, but in theory they are an exact copy of the register, produced each year for submission to the diocesan authorities. However, having checked, I see that there are virtually none surviving for Essex for that period.

Some parishes had transcripts of their registers published 100 years or more ago - worth looking into in case the registers went missing more recently than that? For many counties there are also Phillimore's transcripts of marriage registers, but without checking, I can't tell you whether this covers Bardfield Saling. There are also Boyd's Marriage Index and Pallot's Marriage Index - I think both are online somewhere, but I can't remember where. And again, I don't know details of the coverage, or whether they might have been produced when the registers were still around.

You could also try marriage licences and the associated paperwork (bonds & allegations). These were issued either by the officials of various diocesan bodies (or occasionally other local bodies - "peculiars"), or by central church authorities such as the Faculty Office and the Vicar General. Records for the local ones are likely to be in the diocean record office, but as Essex was in the Diocese of London, you might also need to check with the LMA. The Faculty Office and Vicar General licences are at Lambeth Palace Library.

Not all couples married by licence, so these won't tell you everything, but they ought to help a bit. A lot of the indexes to licences have been published, both in book form and online, and record offices sometimes have their own unpublished index too.

Arthur

The Genealogist has the following:
    Bardfield Saling St Peter & St Paul, Essex Baptisms 1561-1732
    Bardfield Saling St Peter & St Paul, Essex Burials 1561-1713
    Bardfield Saling St Peter, Essex Marriages 1694-1735
    Bardfield Saling, Essex Marriages 1561-1733
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Wilkes_ml

Thanks, I will have a look at the Genealogist, but I wonder if they are just taken from SEAX's list of registers, which at first glance appear to cover the time period. It's only when you look at the actual register (images through SEAX) that you realise that the actual register do not actually contain the marriages! And a large chunk of baptisms, and I assume burials are missing between 1712 and 1743.

I can get around the births and baptism with the wills that I have ordered, and the fact that two of the children, dying in adulthood had their parents listed as Abraham & Mary OWERS when buried. Another son, born in 1745 was baptised 1775, naming his parents Abraham & Mary OWERS.

Of the three children baptised 1706-1710 at Bardfield (Little) Saling born to Abraham & Elizabeth OWERS, one married at Great Saling in 1734 (the marriage register for Great Saling prior to 1734 also missing from SEAX) , but the other two children I suspect married at Bardfield (Little) Saling about 1730-1735.

I'll see if I can locate Boyds or Phillamore's marriage indexes to check Coverage, but I don't think the coverage of Essex was that good.

I believe my ancestor John Owers was also the son of Abraham & Mary OWERS, born about 1745, so if I can find a missing baptism register, then it would be a bonus!

Wilkes_ml

I believe BOYD's is on FMP, but I can not see a way to search Boyd's selectively. But searching FMPs Parish Marriage's on Saling Little, you have to put a surname in, otherwise it won't search, so you can not find out what the real gap in the marriages is. By putting in the name OWERS with varients checked, it gives me a gap between Abraham marrying Elizabeth RUFFLE in 1705 and Abraham marrying Susan WIPPS in 1767, when I am sure there were more!

Wilkes_ml

Actually the Marriages on FMP (which I assume is Boyds) which I missed earlier as it is under Saling Little instead of the correct name of either Little Saling or Bardfield Saling (I'm getting so confused with Bardfield Saling, Little Saling, Great Bardfield and Great Saling!)

The marriages listed between 1761 and 1800 could all be children that were born in the 1730-1750 period whose baptisms I can not find! So it is proving useful anyway!

Wilkes_ml

Sue, Looking at the Genealogist, the only essex marriage register I could find was

Online access to our Essex Parish Records (Marriages unless otherwise stated).

Contents:
    Volume 1: Ashdon 1557-1812, Boxted 1559-1837, Great Horksley 1538-1836, Little Horksley 1568-1835, Navestock 1538-1812, Wormingford 1559-1837; Volume 2: Chelmsford 1539-1770; Volume 3: Chelmsford 1771-1837, Widford 1619-1837, Writtle 1634-1837; Volume 4: Great Leighs 1560-1837, Little Leighs 1680-1837, Roxwell 1559-1837, Walthamstow 1650-1837;

This product uses credits for viewing images/full records (see panel on right for details of viewing credits included).

And this was available on a 30 day, 90 day and 1 year subscription.

All the other parish registers look as though you have to subscribe for a full year , but it is not clear which subscription package is required to cover the parish registers of Bardfield Saling and whether they are original scanned images, transcripts or just indexes.

If you have a subscription to the Genealogist, would you please be able to check the parish register of Bardfield Saling to see if the ones that says they cover marriages from 1712 to 1733 and 1735, actually do contain marriages to those dates? As I already have full subscriptions to Ancestry and FMP, I don't really want to take out a full years subscription to The Genealogist if there are no marriages at all , although the other parish registers may be useful to me. I can not see any options to take out a month's subscription, or a trial subscription like at Ancestry.

Wilkes_ml

arthurk, as far as I can tell, Phillimore doesn't cover Essex according to https://ukga.org/Registers/ but another site says it covers 14 Essex parishes. Pallot's marriage index only covers the period 1780-1837, and even during that period, is mainly for London, but does seem to cover Cambridge and some parishes of Essex, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of parishes it covers!

Ancestry has Pallots's marriage index, and searching Owers only gives me Chelmsford & Great Leighs hits from the late 1700s and early 1800s, which is too late ( and I already have all the Great leighs entries from previous research).

So it looks like it will be down to "The Genealogist" and the 5 wills I have ordered.

Wilkes_ml

I just realised that the Genealogist has a free 14 day trial ,so will give it a shot!

edited to say I have started free trial. I have now found that the "parish registers" are not actual parish registers but transcripts of parish registers, but still better than no parish registers!

edited to say that I have just searched their "Transcripts of the Bardfield Saling parish Registers " for marriages 1720 +/- 20 years, and came up with just the one marriage I already had Abraham OWERS to Elizabeth RUFFLE in 1705!

So no...the Genealogist doesn't have any more than SEAX, who have the original registers!

Wilkes_ml

And searching Bardfield Saling for baptisms 1730 +/- 20 years came up with just one OWERS who I had, baptised in 1710.

So again, no more than SEAX. And again, like FMP, you can not search without putting in a name, to get a general list of batisms or marriages in the parish to see the actual gap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast