Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pippycat

michelle

I've also been through Genealogist looking for Owers in Essex.

There are 2 options to search:
    Parish Records (printed Books)
    Parish Records (transcripts)

I did the search without dates, just Owers and Essex:
    - out of 62 baps, only 2 for B/Saling
    - 26 marriages, again 2 for B/Saling
    - 40 burials and all for Aythorpe Roding
    As you say, there is nothing there for you.

You haven't yet mentioned this 1 marriage!!
    John Owers and Ester Taylor
    24 May 1698 Bardfield Saling, St Peter.

Rebecca

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Rebecca, I had already found the marriage for John (who I believe is Abraham's brother). I have subscription for SEAX, so have access to all the original parish registers that have been scanned, which is the majority of the parish registers. The later, non-conformist registers are yet to be scanned.

The parish in question Bardfield or Little Saling, appears to have a perfectly kept register until 1712, so I have had no problems with locating the 2 marriages and 3 baptisms prior to 1712. But then there are no entries till 1719, where only one baptism is entered in the register, then there are no entries untll 1732, when again, only one baptism entry is made. There has been no separate marriage register scanned, the one on SEAX listed as a baptism, marriage and burial register from 1743 is wrongly labelled because it has one erroneous marriage by licence entered in 1751, apart from that one marriage entry, the rest of the register is baptisms and burials to 1788 /1790.

So that is why I am stuck! The neighbouring parish of Great Saling also has a marriage register missing, and I'm trying to work out if te same Curate was responsible for both parishes. The register of Great Saling which has marriages from 1712-1743 is actually a copy of an early register which hasn't been scanned (a note made by the new curate when copying across some of the baptisms highlighting mistakes made in earlier register brought my attention to the fact this was a copy!)

So, I have sent an Email to Essex record office to ask for confirmation, but the fact that The Genealogist is propagating the misinformation that marriages exist for this period for Bardfield Saling is worrying! This is the problem of Transcripts and indexes that cover a blanket period which do not specify gaps in coverage.

Wilkes_ml

Doh....I think I have partly solved the problem. I keep forgetting to check the marriage index on FMP! There is a John OWERS who married Fran ALLISTON in 1725 at Stebbing (John would have been 17) and Abraham OWERS married Mary SUCKLING at Stebbing in 1732!

So it is quite possible, and very probable that this is the John OWERS and Abraham OWERS that I was expecting to have been married at Bardfield (Little) Saling whose marriage register is lost and baptisms is sketchy.

I'm just hoping that their children were baptised at Stebbing, so i'm off to have a look now.

Stebbing was only about 1 and a half miles away from Bardfield (Little) Saling!

Wilkes_ml

Yep, it's all starting to fall into place now. I had previously transcribed all Stebbing OWERS entries from 1735! And indeed John & Frances were having their children baptised there from 1735 to 1742 when John was buried at Stebbing, but John's will dated 1742 said he was a yeoman of Bardfield Saling which confused me, as I couldn't find his burial at Bardfield Saling.

But Abraham & Mary don't appear to have had their children baptised at either Stebbing or Bardfield (Little) Saling, and the Youngest sibling Richard doesn't appear to have had his children baptised between 1734 and 1745 either.

Wilkes_ml

I have finally received my batch of wills, and fortunately they have helped to fill in some of the missing gaps.

John OWERS who died in 1742 named his wife Elizabeth, daughter in law Francis OWERS, married daughter Esther LEWSEY, unmarried daughter Sarah OWERS and about 5 of his grand children.

Abraham OWERS who died in 1760, was indeed the father of eldest son Abraham OWERS (born 1706) and youngest son Richard OWERS (born 1710) but also named a daughter Elizabeth wife of Clement BOREHAM...so she was probably born during the period the register was poorly kept between 1712 -1719. The fact that he didn't mention his other son John (born 1708) or any children from John suggests he had died (probably during the period 1712-1743 when the register was poorly kept or lost) He also named his cousin John LEWSEY of Stebbing.

and both Abraham's sons provide very descriptive wills.

Abraham in 1779 names his wife Mary and lists his children: James, Abraham, John, Richard, Elizabeth, Jane, Esther & Mary and also one grandchild Ester WHIPPS. Of those 8 children only one baptism was found (as an adult!)

and Richard in 1766 names his wife Elizabeth and his children: Richard, Elizabeth, Mary, John, Abraham, James & Clement.

So I can be pretty certain my John OWERS who married Elizabeth BOREHAM (father of Abraham OWERS b.1780) is either son of Abraham or Son of Richard....I just need to work out which one!

Reputation beyond repute

parish marriage register (of Bardfield Saling, Essex) for the period 1713-1790 is missing
    But the SEAX catalogue specifically shows, among other...

Register of Marriages 1743 1751 D/P 297/1/2

You don't expect a catalogue to show all the gaps but this is a specific unique catalogue entry and would hardly be there if they didn't have it!

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    But the SEAX catalogue specifically shows, among other...

Register of Marriages 1743 1751 D/P 297/1/2

You don't expect a catalogue to show all the gaps but this is a specific unique catalogue entry and would hardly be there if they didn't have it!
    But they are not unique catalogue entries as in unique registers. Each composite register has been given a code as in D/P 297/1/2 and this code applies to the Baptism,Marriage and Burial register, but when they created the catalogue, they decide to create individual links for baptisms, marriages and burials seperately, even though each link takes you back to the same register!!

It is down to the individual to then go through the register and find which pages contain the baptism, marriages or burials. Some registers are nicely ordered, some are not.

I have been working with the people at SEAX, informing them of missing parts of registers, parts where I have found marriages that appear to be missing (i.e. not in the catalogue) because they are sandwiched randomly between baptisms so they can update their catalogue descriptions.

Wilkes_ml

But for that register in particular (D/P 297/1/2 ) SEAX did inform me "In D/P 297/1/2 if you look at Image 3 you will see that amongst the baptisms and burials there are two marriages in 1744. On Image 4 there are marriage entries for 1746 and 1748 and in Image 5 there is the marriage entry which you noticed for 1751"

And although the front of the register did say Baptisms & Burials, inside, squeezed in amongst the baptisms & burials was indeed the 4 additional marriages I hadn't noticed.

I also had confirmation from them that the Great Saling register for 1712-1743 is completely missing, and I suspect the same curate may have been in charge of both parishes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12