ShirleyX

Default Where is or what is Dewar

Richard Keefe immigrated to Australia on the ship Queen Bee arriving 31 March 1861.
    The entry states: Keefe, Richard, 23, Farm Labourer, Dewar, Kerry, Ireland.

Can anyone suggest what Dewar means.
    Also cannot locate Richard's parents. He would have been born about 1837/38.

On same ship is another Keefe family,
    Cornelius, 40 Labourer, Dunneraile, Cork
    Margaret, 31, wife, Glanworth, Cork
    Michael, 11, son, Middlesex
    Honora, 5 daughter, Middlesex
    Cornelius, 2, son, Middlesex

I found a marriage for Cornelius Keefe and Margaret Cunningham at SS Peter & Paul, Cork & Ross, on 8 July 1841 which seems to fit.

Was Richard related to this family? How can I find out?

Thanks
    Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by ShirleyX View Post

Can anyone suggest what Dewar means.
    Could it be Duagh?
    https://homepage.eircom.net/~dinglema...agh/index.html

This would sound like Dewar when pronounced, I think
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Wilkes_ml

I think Keefe was quite a common name in Ireland so it is quite possible they weren't related, especially as they came from different parts of Ireland.

Do you have Richard Keefe in Australian census records after his arrival? Did he marry in Australia, and if he did, did he list his father on his marriage certificate?

ShirleyX

Ah! Duagh sounds right.

Unfortunately we don't have census records that list names - only statistics. However, Richard married Catherine Halley in NSW in 1867. No parents listed, however on Richard's death (1897) certificate his parents are given as Michael O'Keefe (deceased) School teacher and Janet Harper (deceased). His death also states he was born [Kilmullock] Limerick, Ireland and was 63 years of age. So is this the same Richard on the Queen Bee (query birth places)? Catherine died age 78 in 1920 (born Tipperary). I can't read her fathers' name but looks like it starts with a D and he was a farmer. Her mother is Catherine Devereux.

When did Richard immigrate if it is not he on the Queen Bee. All other details give his surname as O'Keeffe but I'm yet to find him on a ship - and as you point out such a common surname.

Wilkes_ml

Unfortunately the information given on death records is much less reliable as it is given by someone who is less likely to know the accurate information. If it is a relative informant, then they can only go by memory of what they have been told over the years and is reliant on how good their memory is and how truthful the deceased has been.

It is quite likely that O'Keefe has been changed to Keefe over time. I'm not sure what Irish records are available, but I would try searching for any records relating to a Michael Keefe or O'Keefe who is a School teacher.

ShirleyX

One of Richard's son's gave the information on the death - so I can only hope he had some idea of his grandparents - but who knows!

So far no Irish records located but still searching