Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Wilkes_ml

And another at St. Michael and All Angels, High Ercall ( or Ercall Magna), Shropshire Baptised 16th January 1711/2

Richard son of Wm. HALDESWORTH a poor wanderer and Elizabeth his wife.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My ancestors are also registered as "travellers" in the Alstonefield Church Register. Thomas & Sarah Hamlet had 4 boys and two of the boys the parents were listed as "travellers". I have read postings with the references as travellers being referred to as Romany?. How can I verify if in fact they were Romas? Their surname in less than 100 years changed from Hamlet - Hamblet - Hambleton, would anyone have any suggestions why these changes happen? They also resided in Alstonefield from 1704 to at least 1850 without any movement away from the hamlets of Alstonefield.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by veejay34 View Post
    Sales rep pre 1825 ?
    Yes certainly; Trade Directories were originally printed so that sales reps. or commercial travellers could find the businesses that they could sell their companies products to.
    Trade Directories were commonly around in 1766, London had them by 1734.
    In France lists or directories were around from at least 1691 – Les Adresses de la Ville de Paris and in 1692 Livre Commode des Adresses de Paris.

Sir Arthur Gorges and Sir Walter Cope were granted a patent in 1611 for a Register of General Commerce.
    There was even a newspaper (a fore runner to the Exchange & Mart) called the Publick Advertiser (1650) which was “weekly communicating unto the whole nation, the several occasions of all persons that are in any way concerned in Buying and Selling or in any kind of employment or dealings whatsoever”

For more details of early Trade Directories see “Guide to the National and Provincial Directories of England and Wales, Excluding London, Published before 1856” by Jane E. Norton published 1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    Thanks Guy, i did think it was most likely they were, but the first time I'd seen the term used instead of "traveller". I suppose in those days, a caravan turning up in a field was the talk of the village/town and probably the surrounding few neighbouring villages as well, so a traveller couldn't get away with blending in as a normal parishioner.
    I have been scrolling through the thread and came across this post Wilkes.
    Certainly in the 1950s in Scotland the travellers did not try to blend in as a normal parishioner.
    They came every year to work and did not mind the local population knowing they were back again.
    Thinking about it they were only one of a number of inteneret workers who came to the village.
    There would be “French” onion sellars with their onions over their bikes (though I doubt if they actually cycled from France in the 1950s with a bike load of onions to sell in the villages of lowland Scotland). We even had knife grinders, chimney sweeps and travelling shops visiting(though they were from neighbouring towns and villages).

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Wilkes_ml

Baptised at St. Mary the Virgin, Eastry, Kent 2nd August 1752 Benjamin son of John & Susan CASSEL, travellers

also baptised at St. Mary the Virgin, Eastry, Kent 11th February 1753 Sarah daughter of William & Mary BOTTELY, travellers

Wilkes_ml

Also at St. Mary the Virgin, Eastry, Kent

baptised 7th July 1754 Charity daughter of Richard & Charity WRIGHT, travellers

baptised 10th February 1760 James son of William & Mary WILKINSON, travellers

Wilkes_ml

Buried at St. Nicholas, Ash, Kent 31st October 1741

Charles HESKINS a way going man

Wilkes_ml

Baptised at St. Mary the Virgin, Salehurst, Sussex 9th January 1754

Joseph son of Joseph & Rose CABLE, travellers

and burial for Joseph just 3 days later on 12th January, which I assume is the child as no age is given.

Buried at St. Mary the Virgin, Salehurst, Sussex

23rd September 1754 John AYELSBURY, a traveller

17th November 1754 Elizabeth LOCK, a traveller

Wilkes_ml

Att St. Mary the Virgin, Salehurst, Sussex

25th March 1750 John son of Elizabeth TURBEY, a traveller was baptised

4th July 1750 William BALLINGER, a traveller was buried

18th September 1750 Susanna WARNER, a traveller was buried

26th July 1752 Elizabeth daughter of James & Philadelphia WALKER, travellers was baptised

Wilkes_ml

At St. Mary the Virgin, Salehurst, Sussex

9th September 1761 Mary EDNEY, a traveller was buried

12th January 1766 Anne daughter of Anne BRISTER, a traveller was baptised

7th August 1770 David HOLLOWAY, a traveller was buried

8th February 1779 Elizabeth PLUMB, a traveller was buried

Wilkes_ml

At St. Giles, Bodiam, Sussex

13th July 1735 Mary daughter of William & Ann FARR, travellers was baptised

9th September 1759 William son of James & -------, travellers was baptised

5th October 1760 Elizabeth daughter of Roger & Sarah RATFORD, travellers

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415