Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Smile Did you know my Grandad, George Selby?

Hi
    I am looking for anyone that can give me information/copies of photos of my maternal Grandfather, George Selby.

He was born February 1918 in Towson Street, Everton. He married my Grandmother in 1939 in Huyton. At the time he was an aircraft fitter based in Watford at De Havillands. As he was in a reserved occupation he did not go to war, but he did join the army afterwards, the Royal Engineers. When he left the army he worked at English Electric. He was proud of his army service, a 'paratrooper'. He was apparently buried with his cap in beside him and the union flag draped over his coffin. He died in April 1997, at the time he was living in Chester Road, Whitby, Lancashire. He had a second wife, Lillian (nee Ley), whom he married in 1954. But she died August 1998. Mum was his only child (1st marriage).
    My Grandparents divorced when my mother was only two and she was then largely brought up by her maternal grandmother whilst her mother worked away. My mum had no more contact with her father (to her knowledge). He was told where to find her on one occasion by her Grandmother, so he could 'see' her (but on the proviso he did not speak to her). As a result of these events I/we don't even know what he looked like as even my mother has no photographs of him.

Is there an archive of De Havillands or English Electric where I could find further info?

Did anyone know him? Do you have any photos/stories that you are willing to share with me, as apart from these basic facts (gleaned from birth/marriage and his death certificate) I know not much about him. I did contact the person who was informant on his death certificate (not his widow) and she told me some info about him.

Looking forward to a favourable response or two.

Cheers

Sue

Section G of the Marconi Archive appears to deal with records of English Electric
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Reputation beyond repute

Is there an archive of De Havillands or English Electric where I could find further info?
    See the National Register of Archives -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/

Wiganexile

If your father''s second wife had siblings there is always a chance that there is their photo in a Wedding Album. Just a suggestion.

By the way, I looked for the 1954 marriage and a George Selby married Lilian Rankine. I could not find Lilian Ley.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 02-09-2013 at 9:24 PM. Reason: Corrected typo 1854 to 1954

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganexile View Post

By the way, I looked for the 1954 marriage and a George Selby married Lilian Rankine. I could not find Lilian Ley.
    Lilian Ley married George Rankine in 1944 so presumably the 1954 marriage was second time around for both parties.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

This link explains who can apply for WW11 service records. I just thought maybe this was another way of trying to gather information/photos about your grandfather.

Christanel

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi All

Thanks for your responses.

I will follow up re Marconi and the National Archives. WW2 records _ I had assumed he wouldn't have any as he was in a reserved occupation. But I will check up on it.

Yes, Lillian Ley/Rankine are one and the same. I have both marriage certificates. Unfortunately, Lillian and George had stillborn twins and never went on to have any more, thus my mother being George's only child.

Now to investigate these leads!

Cheers

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This link explains who can apply for WW11 service records. I just thought maybe this was another way of trying to gather information/photos about your grandfather.

Christanel
    It would have been fine if I had actually posted the link. Duh! Here it is https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/reme...e-records-faqs

Christanel

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by SueP View Post
    Hi
    I am looking for anyone that can give me information/copies of photos of my maternal Grandfather, George Selby.

He was born February 1918 in Towson Street, Everton. He married my Grandmother in 1939 in Huyton. At the time he was an aircraft fitter based in Watford at De Havillands. As he was in a reserved occupation he did not go to war, but he did join the army afterwards, the Royal Engineers. When he left the army he worked at English Electric. He was proud of his army service, a 'paratrooper'. He was apparently buried with his cap in beside him and the union flag draped over his coffin. He died in April 1997, at the time he was living in Chester Road, Whitby, Lancashire. He had a second wife, Lillian (nee Ley), whom he married in 1954. But she died August 1998. Mum was his only child (1st marriage).
    My Grandparents divorced when my mother was only two and she was then largely brought up by her maternal grandmother whilst her mother worked away. My mum had no more contact with her father (to her knowledge). He was told where to find her on one occasion by her Grandmother, so he could 'see' her (but on the proviso he did not speak to her). As a result of these events I/we don't even know what he looked like as even my mother has no photographs of him.

Did anyone know him? Do you have any photos/stories that you are willing to share with me, as apart from these basic facts (gleaned from birth/marriage and his death certificate) I know not much about him. I did contact the person who was informant on his death certificate (not his widow) and she told me some info about him.

Looking forward to a favourable response or two.

Cheers

Sue
    I think I may have known your grandfather. I was doing some research in respect of Lilian Ley and your description matched.
    I was trying to establish if Lilian was a cousin of my Mums or just a good friend and there's no one left to ask.
    From recollection I met Lilian and George in Liverpool and later on in Ellesmere Port.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Susie bee.
    SueP posted in 2013 but she is still a member of Brit-Gen so if she is still using the same email address she joined with she should receive notification of your post.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast