Thread: Caernarvonshire

cjen

Red face Caernarvonshire

I am currently researching Hughes & Griffiths families 1800 on

Mesach Hughes born abt 1835 Llanllechid, married Elizabeth Griffiths abt 1835 Llandegai in Bangor 1856, resided Llanllechid prior to emigrating to Australia with at least one child, I hold a death certificate for Mesach showing two children, however I can only find one accompanying Elizabeth when they migrated in 1864

Mesach was the son of Hugh Hughes & Jane Mesach - had four siblings
    Jane,Benjamin,Ann,& Robert.
    Elizabeth was the daughter of William & Jane Griffiths, have not been able to find any siblings for Elizabeth at this stage.

Would love to hear from anyone who can access 1861 Census or can help me with the marriage details in 1856.

CJ Australia
    Last edited by cjen; 16-08-2005 at 6:01 AM.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

The 1861 census...

Address: Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire
    Meshach HUGHES Head 26 Slate Quarrier born Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire
    Elizabeth HUGHES Wife 26 born Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire
    Robert HUGHES Son 3 born Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire

Reference: RG9/4354 Folio 64 Page 19

HTH,
    Trish

cjen

Red face Hughes from Llanllechid

Thank you Trish for your reply on 1861 Census. I did not realize it was there, however I have now solved the problem of this particular Hughes family from 1800 to present.

What I am looking for is if there is anyway I can find out from 1800 back, for the families of Hughes, Mesach, & Griffiths. All I know is the Hugh Hughes was born abt 1799 Llaniestyn. His wife Jane Mesach was born abt 1802 Llanllechid and Elizabeth Griffiths was B abt 1834 somewhere in the same area,and she married their son Mesach.

I realize that Hughes is not the easiest of names to follow, however there's always hope.

Thanks and here's hoping

rgds Cj Qld Aus

WelshGen

Doesn't look like the same family but I'm posting it for the benefit of anyone else who may be researching the Hughes surname.
    In the 1841 census living at Braichmelyn, Llanllechid is the following family ....
    Hugh Hughes, 40, quarryman
    Jane Hughes, 35
    Robert, 15, quarryman; William, 15, quarryman; Hugh 12, quarryman;
    Mesach, 8; Benjamin 5.
    I have quite a number of records before 1800 for Llanllechid and nearby but they are on microfiche and I've just had to order a replacement bulb so will look later.

cjen

Smile Caernarvonshire - Hughes & Griffiths

Thanks Welsh Gen for your input, I really am going to have to data reminder to check the forum more often. Unfortunatley my time has been taken up with my husbands Cornish ancestors, who I am not sure yet, may also have connections with Wales. Maybe I need to post there details here and see what happens.

Yes that is my family thank you - Mesach & Elizabeth were my great great grandparents, they migrated to Australia not long after the 1861 Census.

Thankyou once again, if you ever come across any references to Mesach parents Hugh & Jane, or Elizabeth's (William & Jane Griffiths) would love to hear from you, I promise I will check better next time.

Happy Easter from Aus

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I really am going to have to data reminder to check the forum more often.
    cjen, you are able to set your preferences to be notified by email if there have been replies to your threads.

Go to your 'User CP' up in the top blue bar, far left
    scroll down the control panel until you get to 'edit options'

go to where it says...
    "Default Thread Subscription Mode
    When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread."
    the default is set to no email notification (I think - mine is anyhow)
    you can choose to be notified instantly, daily or weekly.

Then go right down the bottom to 'save changes'.
    ChristineR

cjen

Thank you Christine, just shows one must always read the fine print. Have a great day, rgds Cjen

Default Mesach Roberts

Hello

I’m researching my fathers family and the most of them hail from Llanlechid . My fathers grandfather was called William Roberts and he named 2 of his youngest children Edward Mesach Roberts And Kitty Mesach roberts after his mother’s family. His mother was called Mary Mesach from Llanllechid. She was born in 1841. She had 4 siblings and her father was called William Mesach bien in 1806.

I am unable to find any more information although there was another large household with the Mesach surname.

It is also worth noting that someone from
    That family ran Meshach Roberts chemists in Bangor high steeet for years. There are clear differences in the way the surname is spelt dependant on where you look.

My family still live close to the area.

Chris north wales

First, croeso cynnes/warm welcome to Brit-gen

Is this Mary?

GRO birth Registrations
    Mary Mesach, Dec Qtr 1840, Bangor and Beaumaris Union, vol 27 page 285 - mother's maiden name Hughes

FMP Marriages (image)
    Parish of Llanllechyd
    William Mesach, bachelor and Catherine Hughes, spinster, by banns on 22 Nov 1833. Both signed, witnesses John Thomas and John Williams

Are you familiar with Welshnewspapers on line? https://newspapers.library.wales
    Worth a search
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"