soden55

Default strange burial register

Help needed please.

A friend sent me a copy of a page out of the burial registers of St Margarets Church Westmister Middlesex and I can't work out some parts.
    The entry is for Thomas Soden age 25 burried on 29th Dec 1820, entry on page 101.

It has Thomas Soden and underneath what looks like G 1/2 D C 20. His abode looks like 2 Reg Hospital. Sorry but his entry is the faded one, and the writing is hard to read.

There are 2 others that have the same abode. And everybody on both pages has letters under their name, such as C Nil and C D S M 20 or G D C 20.

I think Thomas may have been in the army, but as I have next to no info on him, this is a guess.

Has anybody any ideas on what this could mean, appreciate any thoughts.

Louise

I have looked at the parish register page on FMP and can't see any abodes mentioned, so it may be a different page, but the letters may refer to sections of the burial ground.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

I think it may be "2d" not "20" as opposed to "Nil" or no fee/charge?

Some entries appear to have "St Margaret's" in an abbreviated form included in the line of "code".

After browsing several pages reasonably sure it's "2d"

Jumped forward to 1833 and the following "codes" now appear

G 1/2 D C Y;
    C Nil;
    G D SM Y;
    C1/2 D Y

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The codes are of two types. Some refer to the burial fee ('duty', 'half duty'), others to the ground where buried.

It has Thomas Soden and underneath what looks like G 1/2 D C 20. His abode looks like 2 Reg Hospital.
    G 1/2 D C Yd = Great Half Duty, Chapel Yard
    2d Reg. Hospital = 2nd Regimental Hospital = the military hospital nearby at Horse Guards, St James'

Jumped forward to 1833 and the following "codes" now appear
    G 1/2 D C Y;
    C Nil;
    G D SM Y;
    C1/2 D Y
    Great Half Duty, Chapel Yard
    Child Nil
    Great Duty, St Margaret's Yard
    Child 1/2 Duty, Yard

Kerrywood,
    Thanks for the explanation. Started following up yesterday but got totally sidetracked (typical) by a lengthy article about London burials 17th/18th Century.

These "codes" disappear from the registers late 1836/early 1837.

soden55

Oh thank you so much for that explanation, there you go, I did not think of a duty or fee for burrial.
    So I had thought Govt 1/2 discount as the 3 died in some sort of military hospital.
    Thank you again.
    Louise

soden55

Any idea where I might find further records or info on this military hospital.

Louise