Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    blue wren

Red face Richard CHADWICK of 13th Light Dragoons

I am chasing information about Richard CHADWICK who signed up to the 13th Light Dragoons on 5 June 1851 at the tender age of 18yrs in York. His discharge record shows he was born in Cawnpore East Indies about 1833/32 and served for nearly 12 years finally leaving in 1863 of his own choice.

The record shows that he transferred to the 7th Hussars around 1858 and during his service at various times was promoted from Private to Corporal to Sergeant and back to Private and earned a Good Conduct Badge. The record also states 'his name has been four times in the Defaulter's book - he has been twice tried by Court Marshal'.What does this mean?

I understand that from family information that he was present at the Charge of the Light Brigade and that he rescued a Private William Purvis for which he was promoted and received a Good Conduct Badge. He went on to be involved with the Battle of Lucknow in India and was entitled to Crimean Medal with four clasps and Turkish Medal and Indian Mutiny with Lucknow clasp. The medal info comes from discharge record.

Any information or leads would be of great help!

gasser

have you seen this?
    www.
    chargeofthelightbrigade.com/allmen/allmenC/allmenC_13LD/chadwick_r_1448_13LD.html

gasser

and google this: 'In Search of the Light Brigade - Page 364 - Google Books Result'

blue wren

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    have you seen this?
    www.
    chargeofthelightbrigade.com/allmen/allmenC/allmenC_13LD/chadwick_r_1448_13LD.html
    Thank you gasser for this link. It has quite a bit of information - some that is the same as I have from Richard's Discharge file but other info I'm not sure where it came from and is different to what is on the army file. As this file was signed by Richard on the day of his discharge I think it has more credence. I am still a bit perplexed that he earned a Good Conduct Badge but still managed to be court marshaled twice!

Thanks once again:-)

blue wren

and google this: 'In Search of the Light Brigade - Page 364 - Google Books Result'
    I have tried to Google the above many different ways but with little success. If you or anyone else has a copy of the book 'In Search of the Light Brigade' by Lawrence W Crider and can let me know what is on page 364 about Richard Chadwick, I would appreciate it. Thanks again gasser!

Kind regards
    Blue Wren

gasser

I have sent you a pm

His discharge record makes interesting reading!

see also https://www.infodial.co.uk/LBNameIndex.pdf

blue wren

I have sent you a pm
    Thank you very much for all your help and the information in the PM. For the bigger picture seems I will have to get hold of a copy of the book.
    Cheers
    Blue Wren

blue wren

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    His discharge record makes interesting reading!

see also https://www.infodial.co.uk/LBNameIndex.pdf
    Thank you helachau for this interesting link to the book Forgotten Hero's The Charge of the light Brigade at Balaclava by Roy Dutton. I have sent off for a copy. And yes his discharge file is interesting - I'd be interested to find out why he was Court Marshaled twice! I'll let you know if I find out anything more.

kategratton

hi we are looking for info about Richard Chadwick too!he is our great great grandfather.We are also trying to find any siblings we know there was a William..but any others?We are trying to uncover more information about his father Mgr William Chadwick of the 11th Hussars and who his mother was.....all we have is a few pages written by our grandmother who is sadly no longer with us.If any one can shed some light on these characters it would be amazing.The link above I cant seem to open...would love to read about Richards court marshals?! very exciting!we are complete novices so any help would be great!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast