Nicolina

the 1901 Census for Clive Street, Canton (RG13 Folio 104 Piece 4988) has:
    Jane HONEYBUN, widow, aged 52 b. Bath
    Emily HONEYBUN aged 19 b. Cardiff
    George ILES, son, aged 29 b. Cardiff
    Alfred ILES, son, aged 22 b. Cardiff
    Sarah BARTLETT, visitor, aged 23 b. Cardiff
    George BARTLETT, visitor, aged 0, b. Penarth
    Henry WARREN, brother, aged 55 b. near Bath.

so going by Emily's d.o.b. they must have been in Wales by 1881/1882

on the 1911 Census Jane was listed as Mother in Law to Sarah BARTLETT's husband Tom. So was Sarah a HONEYBUN or ILES - - -

ANDYDENHAM

Hi
    Norris Honeybun in question is my great great grandfather. I have just come across this site and offer the following information on this man. I do have more if you are interested.

Ellen Honeybun, my gt gramdmother, was born on 28 November 1877 at 14 Hewell Street, Lower Grange, Glamorgan. She was the daughter of Norris and Ellen Honeybun (nee Stone).

The family had come to Glamorgan from Dorset. At that time South Wales was experiencing a huge economic boom, driven by the exploitation of ‘steam coal’. Hundreds of thousands of people migrated there from other parts of Britain, particularly from the relatively poor, and relatively close, West Country. Judging from the known birthplaces of their children, the Honeybuns made this move sometime in the early 1870s.

Norris Honeybun was born around 1843 in Loders, near Bridport. His parents were Edward and Jane, who are the earliest family members so far traced. Edward was born ca1805 also in Loders and Jane ca1814 in nearby Powerstock . The 1851 Census has them living in Loders with four children: Joseph (age 15), Norris (age 8), John (age 5), and Emily (age 3). Edward was a labourer.

Norris married Ellen Stone at Bradpole Parish Church on Boxing Day 1864. He was 21 and she was about 20. Ellen’s parents were Henry (also a labourer) and Mary Stone . Neither bride nor groom could write.

It was clearly a traditional shotgun wedding, as their first child, Norris Edward, was born early in 1865, in Bradpole. Their second, John, was born two years later in 1867, also in Bradpole. The third child, Fred, was born in 1869, but this time in Netherbury. This is only a few miles from Bradpole, but suggests that either the family had moved there, or perhaps Norris had now left to work in Wales and Ellen was staying with relations.

The next child we know about is Ellen, eight years later. Given the regularity of the earlier births, this seems a wide gap, and may be a further indication that Norris was away in Wales. Alternatively of course, there may have been medical issues or stillbirths or infant deaths (this could be investigated in the BMD registers- so far, the information on children has just been taken from the 1881 Census).

By the time of Ellen’s birth in 1877 the entire family had moved to Hewell Street, and Norris was employed as a labourer . Hewell Street housed many recent immigrants, and this whole area of Cardiff had sprung up to service the new docks from which the coal was being shipped out. New railways, including the Taff Vale, brought it down from the Valleys to be loaded aboard coal ships. There was a huge demand for labour.

ANDYDENHAM

Post NORRIS HONEYBUN

Hi
    Norris Honeybun in question is my great great grandfather. I have just come across this site and offer the following information on this man. I do have more if you are interested.

Ellen Honeybun, my gt gramdmother, was born on 28 November 1877 at 14 Hewell Street, Lower Grange, Glamorgan. She was the daughter of Norris and Ellen Honeybun (nee Stone).

The family had come to Glamorgan from Dorset. At that time South Wales was experiencing a huge economic boom, driven by the exploitation of ‘steam coal’. Hundreds of thousands of people migrated there from other parts of Britain, particularly from the relatively poor, and relatively close, West Country. Judging from the known birthplaces of their children, the Honeybuns made this move sometime in the early 1870s.

Norris Honeybun was born around 1843 in Loders, near Bridport. His parents were Edward and Jane, who are the earliest family members so far traced. Edward was born ca1805 also in Loders and Jane ca1814 in nearby Powerstock . The 1851 Census has them living in Loders with four children: Joseph (age 15), Norris (age 8), John (age 5), and Emily (age 3). Edward was a labourer.

Norris married Ellen Stone at Bradpole Parish Church on Boxing Day 1864. He was 21 and she was about 20. Ellen’s parents were Henry (also a labourer) and Mary Stone . Neither bride nor groom could write.

It was clearly a traditional shotgun wedding, as their first child, Norris Edward, was born early in 1865, in Bradpole. Their second, John, was born two years later in 1867, also in Bradpole. The third child, Fred, was born in 1869, but this time in Netherbury. This is only a few miles from Bradpole, but suggests that either the family had moved there, or perhaps Norris had now left to work in Wales and Ellen was staying with relations.

The next child we know about is Ellen, eight years later. Given the regularity of the earlier births, this seems a wide gap, and may be a further indication that Norris was away in Wales. Alternatively of course, there may have been medical issues or stillbirths or infant deaths (this could be investigated in the BMD registers- so far, the information on children has just been taken from the 1881 Census).

By the time of Ellen’s birth in 1877 the entire family had moved to Hewell Street, and Norris was employed as a labourer . Hewell Street housed many recent immigrants, and this whole area of Cardiff had sprung up to service the new docks from which the coal was being shipped out. New railways, including the Taff Vale, brought it down from the Valleys to be loaded aboard coal ships. There was a huge demand for labour.

forestlea65

Thanks Andy
    I've been researching this family for a friend so I'll pass on the information to him.

Thanks agin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123