LynneOz

Default Merchant Taylors' Company

I have found the websites of the Merchant Taylors' Company of London and also found information on the Merchant Taylors' of York.

Can anyone advise me whether there was a Merchant Taylors' Company of Manchester. It would seem strange if there wasn't at least a chapter of this guild in Manchester given the importance of the city in the production of wool, cotton and silk cloth.

I have two ancestors called Thomas Taylor who operated as Master Tailors in Manchester from 1790-1880. I would be most interested to gather more information on them and their business.

Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Can anyone advise me whether there was a Merchant Taylors' Company of Manchester
    I wouldn't think so. Manchester never was a medieval city and the Guilds were essentially medieval bodies. Manchester didn't even become a borough until 1838 so there wasn't really an opportunity for guilds to be established before that date.

Also politically, Manchester was a centre of the free trade movement and the Guilds which were basically all about restrictive practices had nothing in common with the principles of free trade.

I was hoping you would come along and set us straight on this one Peter. I had searched for Merchant Taylors and read an awful lot about the guilds but the brain hadn't even started analysing time frames and political propensities.

Thanks for the clear and succinct explanation.

Christanel