Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adam Landell(s)

Starting to feel at home

Lesley, I have registered with BNA and will keep an eye out for their notifications.

In Australia, NLA - I really use it only for military service records, and have not yet looked for newspapers (of course, I use "Trove" almost daily for Australian newspapers before 1956 - it would be the more useful if the scanning could reach beyond the mid-1950s towards the 21st century - $$ needed).

Will check out Gales 19th Century Newspapers.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I work at Alnwick Castle and have been researching the Percy Tenantry Volunteers for a new book. James joined the artillery in 1808 and served until it disbanded in 1814. He was listed as one of 6 drivers, all of who had a horse named after them ie.'Landels'. He would have driven the artillery Gun carriages or the Carr for transporting the Gun crew or at other times various things.WE have him listed as a tailor by trade and their are receipts for him making uniform for the drivers.

Starting to feel at home

That is interesting, and matches some of the indefinite information that I have.

I have recorded for James LANDELLS that he was a tailor, but in 1804 his occupation was recorded as Joiner - the burial record of his wife, Ann Landells (unknown maiden name) - Burial Date: 20 Oct 1804

James - born 8 May, 1778 at Alnwick, died 12 June 1849 at Alnwick, buried 15 June 1849
    - unknown when he married Ann - but it must have been before 1804 (when he would have been 26 years old).

It is difficult to be sure which James LANDELLS/LANDELS (several) married whom.
    Alnwick marriages -
    29 June 1925 (Mary WANN, b. 1785, Bilton, Northumberland; d. 16 Feb 1863 Alnwick)
    15 June 1810 (Jane BURN, b. 11 Nov 1788, Bondgate, Alnwick; d. Oct 1823, buried 24 Oct 1823, Morpeth, Northumberland

Tracing back from my direct line of LANDELLS, I recorded James marriage to Jane BURN (as above, 1810) and their children 1811 to 1819: William Burns, Adam, Jane, and Mary Ann.

Are there other LANDELLS that you have discovered in the Percy Tenantry Volunteers? I think I have notes, taken from marriage records, of others who have a notation that they were in one of the Northumberland "volunteer military" groups.

Starting to feel at home

This is a small part of an image of a page of births from years 1787 to 1789 - Alnwick
    from Ancestry, file 40612_B0150512-00006.jpg

The entry 31. is from 1788, and reads -
    "Jane, Daughter of Willm. Burn, Corporal in the Northumberland Militia Living in Bondgate of the Parish of Alnwick, was born 11th of Novr. 1788"

This child Jane BURN later married James LANDELLS (14 June 1810 at Alnwick).

Would such entries help in tracing some of the militia that you may be cataloguing?

Ian
    Last edited by westernwombat; 13-01-2022 at 8:15 AM. Reason: Unsure if the image pasted from Word appears in my posting ??

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A thread regarding Margaret nee Douglass, the wife of Adam Landells can be found here.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...d=1#post695407
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234