Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Landell(s)

Starting to feel at home

A while back, I searched here for the Landells name, and found just the one thread I think.

From my researching in the past 5 years, there do seem to be some connections with Berwick for the Alnwick, Northumberland families, to be expected by proximity. But I have not encountered the Scouggle nor Watherston.

Certainly my direct relative, Reverend William Burns LANDELLS, had family roots in the Dissenting strands, but when he came to Australia (associated with churches in Collingwood and Geelong) he changed from Congregational to Baptist. From Alnwick, he moved to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, then to Sheffield, when married (children were born in various localities in those centres, before he moved to Australia about 3 years after his brother Adam).

There were also separate Landels in Australia and New Zealand with the single L ending (-ELS) almost always retained or not confused with the -ELLS.

It sounds as though William was in one of the English churches, which explains why I can't find him the Church of Scotland Fasti!

The Rev W B Landells accepted the pastorate of Mount Zion Chapel, Westfield Terrace, Sheffield in May 1835 while still at Airedale College. Described as "a person of considerable ability".
    He accepted the pastorate of Lee Croft Chapel, Sheffield, January 1839.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I can confirm that Adam Landel's father was James Landels, a tailor from Bailiffgate, Alnwick. He served in the Duke of Northumberlands 'Percy Tenantry Volunteer Artillery' as a driver from 1808 -1814.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by opshw68 View Post
    I can confirm that Adam Landel's father was James Landels, a tailor from Bailiffgate, Alnwick. He served in the Duke of Northumberlands 'Percy Tenantry Volunteer Artillery' as a driver from 1808 -1814.
    Thanks for that - I followed up the volunteer artillery and other similar Northumberland units etc. Interesting. Driver - horse & cart, etc?

Would you mind adding where you found that? I'm not very familiar with UK sources, except via FamilySearch and the library-access Ancestry. I will have to get access to British newspapers - I think that requires a FindMyPast subscription, though.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Rev W B Landells accepted the pastorate of Mount Zion Chapel, Westfield Terrace, Sheffield in May 1835 while still at Airedale College. Described as "a person of considerable ability".
    He accepted the pastorate of Lee Croft Chapel, Sheffield, January 1839.
    Thank you - I have seen references to both Mount Zion and Lee Croft Chapel. As most of his children were born in Sheffield, he would have been there for many years before emigrating to Australia.

Is there a usual newspaper or publication where this (clerical) information can be found?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by westernwombat View Post
    Thanks for that - I followed up the volunteer artillery and other similar Northumberland units etc. Interesting. Driver - horse & cart, etc?

Would you mind adding where you found that? I'm not very familiar with UK sources, except via FamilySearch and the library-access Ancestry. I will have to get access to British newspapers - I think that requires a FindMyPast subscription, though.
    The newspapers available on FMP are the same as those from the British Newspaper Archive.
    BNA website https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    You can search for free, but have to pay to access most results. There are some papers which are free to access, but I can't remember which ones they are, and for which years. I know that on FMP there is a 'free to access' filter, and I would assume the same applies on the BNA site.

Background tp the BNA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Newspaper_Archive

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Pam - I'll give both ways a try - thanks for the links.

Ian

It’s worth keeping an eye on the BNA website - they often have offers on a few free searches for limited times.

I recall that The National Library of Australia provides FREE access to a set of newspapers - requires registration. The set includes Gales 19th Century Newspapers. However, the collection is far less extensive than BNA/FMP. Have checked Gales and there are a couple of snippets.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast