Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Landell(s)

Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury

Sat 15 Sep 1849
    The Duke of Northumberland, on learning that Adam Landells, lately a gardener at Alnwick Castle, was on the point of emigrating to Australia, generously presented him with £10

Sat 22 Sep 1849
    PRESENTATION AT ALNWICK - On Sunday se'nnight, at a meeting of the Sunday school teachers of Sion Chapel, Alnwick, they presented a purse, containing £6 16s collected amongst themselves, to Mr Adam Landells, who is about to emigrate to Australia, as a mark of respect for his personal character, of their appreciation of his services as a teacher amongst them for many years and to assist him and his family in that undertaking

Wilkes_ml

It's lovely to have newpaper confirmation of his history as a gardener at Alnwick Castle. Such a shame they didn't mention where he was born or who his parent's were!

My guess is that he was a local lad, it's just going to be a hard slog working through the parish registers of the area, pulling all the Landells (and various spelling variations) out and piecing them together!

Selina2901

I have thanks although I think their dobs are wrong. I will recheck parish registers

Thanks

Selina2901

Fabulous. Thanks

Selina2901

Thanks. I'll investigate that further

Selina2901

Interesting. Thanks

Selina2901

Very useful. I have now contacted Alnwick Castle. Hoping foursome good news

Starting to feel at home

It is now 8 years since this thread started, but I have only joined British Genealogy a few days ago.

I recall seeing the thread in 2016 - but could not follow up some of the newspaper references (eg, Newcastle Journal, 1848).
    Nevertheless, it started me on my research of the LANDELLS family, with my 3rd great grandfather Rev. William Burns LANDELLS being a brother of the Adam LANDELLS of this thread.
    In recent years, I have learnt a lot about the surviving children of Adam and his wife Margaret Douglas, in Australia and elsewhere - there were only 3 of the 8 that survived beyond 18 years old, 4 dying at age 2 or less. Cholera was the main cause.

I would be interested in comparing notes with others researching LANDELLS in the UK.

Many of the family were from Northumberland, Berwickshire, and adjacent counties. Those I know about in recent years were living in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Sorry, ww, but the original poster in this thread, Selina, is no longer a member of the forum , as noted by 'guest' under her name.
    We therefore have no contact details for her.
    From what I can see, the other people who posted in the thread have no personal connection to the Landells family.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I have a One Place Study for the Berwickshire parish of Whitsome & Hilton which includes a clump of Landells/Landels. It's been a few years since I looked at them, but if I remember correctly, there were 2-3 unrelated families. One line was the Parish Minister, Adam Landells. He and his wife, Christiana Watherston (mar 1779 in Leith) only seem to have had 1 child, who apparently was still born.
    Adam was licensed by the Presbytry of Duns & ordained in 1776 and called to Etal. His marriage entry describes him as the Minister of the Dissenting Congregation of Etal, but he must have changed his mind because he then went to Hutton in 1789 and lastly Whitsome 1821-1836 where he died. The latter 2 were normal Church of Scotland. Adam's parents were James Landels and Ann Scouggle mar 1737 in Swinton & Simprim. They had 6 children.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast