Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RDWard

An update regarding the other daughters of John Solomon Ellis and Julia Levy: Elizabeth married Frederick Thomas Shoolbred of the Shoolbred Company (Department store in Tottenham Court Road) at Brompton Holy Trinity on the 12 December, 1876. Louisa appears to have actually been Sarah Louisa, and she married Henry Holmes in Westminster on the 4th September 1883. Louisa also used the name Louisa Hervey. Elizabeth, Louisa and their husbands are together in Hove, Sussex, in the 1901 census. Louisa died in 1909 but the other three are still in Hove in 1911. Elizabeth and Frederick Shoolbred both died in 1922. Elizabeth had no children, and Louisa seems not to have had children either. Interestingly, although Elizabeth and Louisa's birthplaces are both shown as London in their earliest censuses, Louisa later gives Australia, and Elizabeth gives Gibraltar and then Australia.

Robert
    I have received your e mails and will respond. In the previous post you record the marriage of Louisa aka Sarah to Henry Holmes in 1883. I can't locate this marriage record on the Ancestry.Com London Marriages- have I missed data?
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Phillip, I don't know why I bother doing my own research -- you're always miles ahead of me. I see that further down the posts for John Solomon Ellis and Jane Levy there is mention of a daughter Louisa. Since you posted in 2006 the GRO site has gone up. I found these birth entries, but have no idea if they relate to this couple:
    ELLIS, DAVID LEVY
    GRO Reference: 1839 S Quarter in EAST LONDON UNION Volume 02 Page 180
    ELLIS, LOUISA LEVY
    GRO Reference: 1849 D Quarter in CITY OF LONDON Volume 02 Page 198
    ELLIS, SOPHIA LEVY
    GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in SAINT GEORGE THE MARTYR SOUTHWARK Volume 04

I'm not - as far as I know - related to this family, but he's one of a long list of people in a court case in 1848 (National Archives Reference: C 14/821/E21) that does include at least one family connection (Maurice D. Dyte).
    Eve

RDWard

It's timely to receive an update message from this thread as I was about to post. I recently received an email from a descendant of William Lawrence Levy (c1830-1912), son of Lawrence Levy (c1803-1873) and brother of the notorious Edward Lawrence Levy (c1827-1892). William Lawrence Levy moved to Sidney, Australia, and changed his name to William Levy Lawrence and the descendants still have the family name of Lawrence. They have remained Jews. The story of the family origins that has been passed down in their line is that the Levy family were expelled from Toledo, Spain, in 1492, at the time of the Spanish Inquisition because they refused to convert to Christianity. They settled first in Holland and then arrived in England with the earliest Jewish families when the country allowed Jewish settlement around 1655/56. The story sounds very plausible but I know of no way to substantiate it further.

Good to hear from you Robert and Eve.

Robert-The Levy/Lawrence story regarding Spain and expulsion may well be true but as you rightly say it would be very difficult to prove it. I have seen the names of various Jews expelled in 1492 but since the use of surnames by Jews at that period was not common whereas tribal,patriarchal,ancestral naming was depending on Sephardic or Ashkenazic roots.

Are you able to send me a private message regarding the Australian lines.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Robert and other researchers- I wrote about the William Lawrence Levy line=Charlotte Cohen and sent data to Prof. Jim Falk Melbourne who established a Cohen-Cassirer data base and online website. Jim has data on the lines including William Levy Lawrence 1861-1923=Sarah Alice Hyman and their children Margaret 1896-1956;Dorothy 1897-1984;Alan 1902-1985.

There are various newspaper articles on the lines see Australian Newspaper Archives ( Trove Collection)

Loves to help with queries

Re the ELLIS birth records, LEVY is the mother's maiden surname, not part of the child's name. The names go closed up when I pasted.

Eve
    #13 - I don't want to muddy the water with this particular thread but for your own interest and research I have Henry DYTE (I believe he is related to Maurice and David Moses Dyte)who appears as a witness at the marriage of Lewin Crawcour to Maria Samuel Jan 1 1851 5 City Road St.Luke's Middlesex.As you know the Crawcour are my paternal line.

When Henry Dyte died one of the executors to his will was Moses Angel Headmaster of the Jew's Free School. Moses was married to a daughter of Godfrey Levy aka Levy Godfrey and Sarah Crawcour.

The relationship maybe one of friendship regarding the Dyte but I have not researched the Dyte lines so am unaware of related data.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12