Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JOHN SOLOMON AKA JOHN SOLOMON ELLIS

This posts fills in a small piece of missing data on John Solomon aka as John Solomon Ellis 1815-1875 who was married to Julia Levy c1817 daughter of William and Elizabeth Levy- these are the William Levy lines who link to various families including the Jacobs and described in detail in "Wealth and Notoriety.The extraordinary families of William and Charles Lewis of London", Robert Ward 2013 ( publisher data online).John Solomon Ellis had been a clothier and tailor in the Minories but had become a bankrupt in the 1840s- bankruptcy records sho he had traded at 3 and 74 Minories as a wholesale and retail clothier.It is possible that his wife Julia Levy had been married before. The family appear in the 1851 and 1861 census- I will add data later- with John Ellis 46 Australia Merchant b Gibralter; Julia wife 44 ,children frances 23,Elizabeth 16 in 1861 census and Louisa 11. It appears that the family may have settled in Australia but the Auckland Council website has data on photographs of the Jewish section of Symonds Street and St Stephens cemeteries in Auckland. The Symonds St record shows.... John Solomon Ellis (of the Minories London) born Gibralter 1815 died Auckland 12 June 1875 age 60. His tombstone has 4 lines in Hebrew... " In memory of John Solomon Ellis of the ... ories London, born ....1815... June 1875 age 6o may his soul rest in peace".
    This tombstone contains no reference to his family or his Hebrew name and may suggest he died in New Zealand with his family being elsewhere. It may also mean that he and his family were settled in Auckland but currently I have not been able to trace them.
    If any researcher can locate Julia, Frances, Elizabeth, Louisa in NZ or Australia it would be a help.
    Phillip

Default MARRIAGE-JOHN SOLOMON ELLIS-JULIA LEVY

Synagogue Scribes website records show:
    GSM 310/10- Marriage Julia Levy - Hebrew name Gitla (daughter of a Priv Member) father's Hebrew name Yehuda Leib- 25 Nov 1835 - John Salomon Ellis- Hebrew name Jacob- father's Hebrew name David.
    This record suggests John Salomon Ellis was originally- Jacob Salomon
    Phillip

Inspire

Frances was my Great Great Grandmother and lived in new Zealand. I am interested in any information I can find on John Solomon Ellis.

Would you like to add more data to your enquiry particularly what you know about Frances and the rest of the family. In the will of Elizabeth Levy 1859 she left a bequest for the education of the "two youngest children of Julia Ellis lawfully begotten by the said John Solomon Ellis". This may suggest that Frances was not the daughter of John and that Julia may have been previously married or divorced. There are two Old Bailey trial records involving John Solomon Ellis the first in 1839 as a victim and second on 23 November 1846 where he was found guilty and fined £20 for assaulting and attempting to ravish Frances Chamberlain.
    There are a range of business records plus other court data on John.
    I will post on these but would appreciate your sharing what you know about John, Julia and the children.
    Phillip

Inspire

Default Julia Ellis

They had a daughter Francis Ellis who married Dr George Henry Acheson. They met on a ship the David G Fleming on route to NZ in 1863. They had four John, Joshua, Jane and Louis. Jane was my great grandmother.

John Solomon Ellis is buried in Auckland. According to family stories Francis came from a Jewish family. And their was a relatives who were in Law in Sydney.

I will post more information later after I check the family records. It's also 1:45am here in Sydney. Cheers, Chris

No worries Chris
    Just to be clear the Levy are Anglo Jews and the William Levy/Elizabeth line married into my Jacobs. I have posted a lot of data on these lines and the various relationships and Robert Ward has also written an excellent book on the William Levy/Elizabeth descendants including Julia/John Solomon Ellis Some of the Levy settled in Australia and I have posted on them on this forum.
    Phillip

Chris
    For clarity here is a range of data on John Soloman Ellis. First of all, you might want to look on JewishGen UK Data Bases where you can see several records relating to John including the London Trade Directory Records and Insurance Records- John is listed as John Soloman Ellis and Co drapers and tailors 13 Aldgate 1851. This address matches the 1851 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 13 Aldgate St.Katherine Cree- John S Ellis M H 36 Tailor and Draper b London, Middx; Julia wife 33 b Middx London, Frances dau 14 b London, Middx; Elizabeth dau 7 b London Middx; Louisa dau 1 b City of London + 1 servant . Frances is 14. Which gives a dob as circa 1836. This is an interesting dob because John and Julia were married in 1835 and there is no reference in the Synagogue Scribes record of Julia being other than Julia Levy- father's Hebrew name Yehuda Leib. Why Elizabeth Levy referred only to the two youngest children and not Frances in her will is a puzzle.
    John appears at 2 Minories clothes salesman 1841-42 and 11 Minories 1841-42 in partnership with David Gideon and as John Samuel Ellis 3 Minories clothes salesman and by 1850 he is at 24 Jewry St.
    Nb There is a Lewis Ellis 4 Minories Drapers 1844 and other Ellis who are in the clothes trade. It is likely that these maybe relatives of John.
    You might want to look at the Gibraltar Records on JewishGen for Solomon or derivations of the surname which is likely to be John aka Jacob's last name.
    The Levy you refer to in your #5 in Sydney are relatives as you say. I can post on them if you wish.
    Phillip

Chris
    Apologies, I omitted the 1851 Census reference HO107 1532 338 6
    Phillip

Chris
    I note that Frances and her son Lewis are buried together in Wakapuaka Cemetery Nelson Block 05 Plot 1, 023 with Frances designated as Church of England/Anglican. The Nelson Evening Mail Vol L11, 121, 27 May 1918 recorded the death of Frances- On May 26 1918 at her residence Woodlands, Bridge St Frances Acheson widow of Dr George H Acheson F.F.P.S.G aged 81. I also noted an early Rootsweb record saying that Frances may have run away from home and met George Acheson on the voyage to NZ and that the couple did not marry until 1875 in Hokitika although they already had 4 children- John b 1865; Joshua b 1868; Jane b 1866 and Lewis b 1870 who died young.
    Whatever the data,and for clarity Frances was born a Jew and John and Julia were married in the Great Synagogue London- see #2 of this thread.
    Phillip

RDWard

Thanks Chris and Phillip for providing the information about Frances Ellis. I will update the downloadable file of revisions to "Wealth and Notoriety" on the lulu site (see https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/r_d_ward )
    Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast