Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

One further possible sibling:
    Dec 1914
    ASH Leslie E mother's maiden name: Fleming Edmonton Vol 3a Page 1044

moonbeamquilter

Well thanks to all you've posted ideas. I believe i've stumbled across some interesting connections/ coincidences my grandfather Robert Alexander Edwads ( R.A.)
    Thanks to Peter -for thinking to look up who lived at Stanhope Gardens, tottenham in the 1911 census. The family name was Ash ( John and his wife Fanny Fleming) Now Fanny Fleming is the name the 1972 obit in the Canadian newspaper gave for R.A.'s mother. On the census John Ash was listed as a sorter at the GPO ( post office) which fits in with what R.A.claimed. John & Fanny had a son Robert Edward who was born 10 May 1898 , which is the date of birth on some docs for R.A. Always 10 May, but year varied. Also R.A. said his father's name was Arthur John which is a name that appears in the Ash family. I have two attestation forms for R.A. The regiments numbers are 41303 & 41393. I think the latter was either altered or a typo.

In any case.... I'm more excited about this aspect of my genealogy journey than I've been in a long time. I will ponder ways to verify if there is indeed a connection with R.A & the Ash family. Not sure about the photos I uploaded. May or may not have worked or included what I was attempting to do. Cheers, Valerie

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The badly written next of kin as at 1914 is Mrs F ASH address 107 Stanhope Gardens ?? Park London North Interesting he describes himself as a Printers ass, on the later one dated 1920 he is an electrician

The 1917 marriage is by Licence so it may be worth looking for this.

GPO employees were Civil Servants probably unti the early 1970's

His father's name on the marriage certificate is listed as Arthur John ( deceased/ civil servant )
    John Ash
    Probate Date 15 December 1943
    Death Date 21 September 1943
    Place of Death Lewes Sussex

Grant of Probate John Ash of Montrose Lodge Valley Road Peacehaven in favour of widow Fanny Jane ASH
    Vale of estate £943 5s 8d

Was Robert Alexander EDWARDS born Robert Edward ASH A-J 1898 St Olave Southwark 1d 213

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    John Ash
    Probate Date 15 December 1943
    Death Date 21 September 1943
    Place of Death Lewes Sussex

Grant of Probate John Ash of Montrose Lodge Valley Road Peacehaven in favour of widow Fanny Jane ASH
    Vale of estate £943 5s 8d

Was Robert Alexander EDWARDS born Robert Edward ASH A-J 1898 St Olave Southwark 1d 213
    If this were my family I would certainly apply for this birth certificate and a copy of the will. It seems highly likely that Robert ALexander Edwards and Robert Edward Ash are the same person.

Moonbeamquilter suggested earlier that he might have lied about his birth date when he joined the military. It is quite possible for him to have given another name. My uncle used his mother's maiden name when he joined up as his father was German. There could be any number of reasons why Robert didn't want to use his family name.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeamquilter View Post
    Well thanks to all you've posted ideas. I believe i've stumbled across some interesting connections/ coincidences my grandfather Robert Alexander Edwads ( R.A.)

Not sure about the photos I uploaded. May or may not have worked or included what I was attempting to do. Cheers, Valerie

You don't mention the source of the list of children's names - was this in Robert's possession ?- if so it certainly ties him to the Ash family and points to him being that Robert, especially with the birth date !

Sorry the wrong picture showed up in my quote.

At some point between the 1911UK census 02 April 1911 & signing attestation papers 22/09/1914 ( 42 month period) Robert left the UK and changed hi named identity. Interestingly he was Robert EDWARD! and became Robert Alexander EDWARDS!

Have you found him arriving in Canada?

moonbeamquilter

Patience is a virtue, my Mama used to say! Spent too long composing my latest rely & when i was prompted to refresh , i lost the entire entry. So.... At this point, I truly beleive there are far too many uncanny coincidences for there NOT to be a link between the Robert Edward Ash & my Robert Alexander Edwards. Althou

moonbeamquilter

Red face

Obviously I posted an incomplete reply last night. Third time's a Charm! So, I neglected to mention that the copy of a list of siblings was from an Ancestry family tree for the Ash Family. While I've known exactly when my grandfather Robert Edwards' wife and baby daughter Dulcie came over, I never found him on that ship manifest.... Until this morning! His service number is 41393!!!

This ship was named "Canada" sailing aug 1919 .
    So I think this basically proves that my Robert Edwards is the same one on the two attestation forms for the CEF #'s 41303. /41393

On a medal award card his address is listed as 322 Morley avenue,Toronto .When I googled this addy a reference to a marriage showed up.
    [img]https://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/extensions/uploads/84674572-e04a-4c08-8ce8-
    78d7f4c2d771.jpg[/img]

So this opens up another lead! I will look for the exact record of the wife on the ship ( before this latest reply disappears, I'll post it right away!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast