Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Trying to follow up family .. Alexander Colquhoun Edwards died West Derby 1875

moonbeamquilter

So enthused to see replies to this thread. The tree on Ancestry is mine and at one point I'd put Alexander Colquhoun as his father, believing it to be a fact. I've not edited that in some time & actually now have no idea if it's true. An old newspaper clipping from the 50's or 60's in Cornwall,Ontario ,Canada mentioned that Robert Alexander's mother's maiden name was Fleming. Again, I've been unable to substantiate this. The fact that R.A. fudged his actual date of birth makes matters difficult. Always the tenth of May, but 1894-1898 is the timeline of dates used. I have R.A's Canadian military records ( attestation) when he enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force at Val Cartier,Quebec on 23 Sept. 1914. Unfortunately the handwriting is terrible and the name beside next of kin is practically impossible to read. Whoever is listed lived at 107 Stanhope Gardens. Guess I should figure out how to post a photo on this site( or if we are able to!) .
    On the back of a military photo of R.A. is the word Folkestone which I believe is where the soldiers went to once they arrived in England. So he spent time in Canada before he emigrated there in 1919.
    As for the Borrits who were witnesses living next door,perhaps they were just neighbours doing a favour, or maybe there is more of a connection. Many thanks for all the help! I'll edit my Ancestry listing and keep on digging....determined as always! Valerie

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeamquilter View Post
    Unfortunately the handwriting is terrible and the name beside next of kin is practically impossible to read. Whoever is listed lived at 107 Stanhope Gardens. Guess I should figure out how to post a photo on this site( or if we are able to!) .
    Valerie
    How to upload a photo directly to the forum HERE
    Thanks to Simon.
    Christanel

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeamquilter View Post
    So enthused to see replies to this thread. The tree on Ancestry is mine and at one point I'd put Alexander Colquhoun as his father, believing it to be a fact. I've not edited that in some time & actually now have no idea if it's true. An old newspaper clipping from the 50's or 60's in Cornwall,Ontario ,Canada mentioned that Robert Alexander's mother's maiden name was Fleming. Again, I've been unable to substantiate this. The fact that R.A. fudged his actual date of birth makes matters difficult. Always the tenth of May, but 1894-1898 is the timeline of dates used. I have R.A's Canadian military records ( attestation) when he enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force at Val Cartier,Quebec on 23 Sept. 1914. Unfortunately the handwriting is terrible and the name beside next of kin is practically impossible to read. Whoever is listed lived at 107 Stanhope Gardens. Guess I should figure out how to post a photo on this site( or if we are able to!) .
    On the back of a military photo of R.A. is the word Folkestone which I believe is where the soldiers went to once they arrived in England. So he spent time in Canada before he emigrated there in 1919.
    As for the Borrits who were witnesses living next door,perhaps they were just neighbours doing a favour, or maybe there is more of a connection. Many thanks for all the help! I'll edit my Ancestry listing and keep on digging....determined as always! Valerie
    Hi Valerie.. A couple of years either way is usually quite acceptable on census records... What age is stated on his marriage and death certs? Also be careful if u are basing your research on his fathers name on his marriage cert as we all know this can be very unreliable most of us have found illegitimate ancestors with phantom dads named on marriage cert.. What are witness names on his marriage cert???

janbooth

Hi Valerie,

I can find Robert's wife Kathleen and baby Dulcie on the Canadian Passenger Lists which states that she is 29, Dulcie is aged 3 months, they were both born in Wales, she is with her husband (a Soldier) and they are going to Toronto, arriving on 7 August 1919 at Quebec, departing from Liverpool on the ship Canada. But like you, nothing on any earlier census records for Robert.

The witnesses on Robert & Kathleen's wedding entry appear to be a Thomas and Grace Ellen BORRITT. Could this be Robert's sister Grace perhaps?

Could father Arthur John have died before the 1901 census and Robert's mother remarried, as like Lesley I cannot find an EDWARDS family in the 1901 with any combination of the above names together.

Will keep looking.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think Thomas & Grace Borritt were brother & sister, I looked at the Borritt family and before Marlborough Road they lived at Brackenbury Road. In the same street is an Edwards family with a two year old Robert ( in 1901 RG13; Piece: 1235; Folio: 5; Page: 2.) who would appear to be one of the four living (in 1911 RG14; Piece: 7178; Schedule Number: 71. ) children of Ann Edwards who is single in 1901 and "widowed" in 1911. I have to go back and check the references as I was in a rush earlier. (done)

19 11 census at 107 Stanhope Gardens: RG14; Piece: 7281; Schedule Number: 184.

John Ash 41 born 1870 Bermondsey
    Fanny Jane Ash 41 born 1877 Farringdon, Hampshire
    Mary Grace Ash 15
    Arthur John Fleming Ash 14
    Robert Edward Ash 12
    Winifred Elsie Ash 11
    Lilian Ethel Ash 9
    John Cecil Ash 6
    Alfred Herbert Ash 4
    Rose Ivy Ella Ash 3
    Ronald Frank Ash

Look at the siblings - not a perfect match but very close and, icing on cake? John Ash was a GPO sorter! ( just like my Grandad!)

John Ash married Fanny Jane Fleming, Brentford Reg District Dec Q 1894 Vol 3a P 217

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    I think Thomas & Grace Borritt were brother & sister, I looked at the Borritt family and before Marlborough Road they lived at Brackenbury Road. In the same street is an Edwards family with a two year old Robert ( in 1901 RG13; Piece: 1235; Folio: 5; Page: 2.) who would appear to be one of the four living (in 1911 RG14; Piece: 7178; Schedule Number: 71. ) children of Ann Edwards who is single in 1901 and "widowed" in 1911. I have to go back and check the references as I was in a rush earlier. (done)
    In the light of the Stanhope Gardens entry I think we can forget about this Edwards family

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast