Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker/Miller

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Baker/Miller

looking for more information on Thomas Blackmore. listed as master miller and baker.
    wife Sarah Staples.

Wilkes_ml

Hi. Please could you give a little more information such as date and place where he lived? What information do you have about him already?

Default Baker/Miller

Dear Wilkes_ml,
    Thomas Blackmore, born 1799 parish Churchstanton, Devon. married Sarah Staples 1819 Portman, Somerset.
    Died 1875 Hackney.

children: Sarah Staples Blackmore,Elizabeth Blackmore, Georgiana Blackmore, Mary Anne Blackmore, Barnett Blackmore, Selina Blackmore.

1847 marriage of daughter Sarah - listed as miller
    1851 census 40 Ash Moss Rd, Ash Priors Taunton listed as Master miller/baker
    1861 census 40 Moor Mills Rd, Brompton Ralph
    1871 census 32 Eleanor Rd Hackney (now retired)
    hope this helps

Wilkes_ml

What information are you looking for? Do you have him in the 1841 census? Have you looked in the parish registers for his baptism yet?

yes have tried. Even contacted Somerset family history society for help. plus two other newly found families searching for Thomas Blackmore also with the same problem. Not knowing his parents names to find the right one. will try again in the 1841 census.
    trying to find his parents so that I can go back further. But also to know about him and where he worked and lived as a miller and baker.
    Last edited by DoreenH; 06-08-2013 at 9:16 AM. Reason: add extra message

Ken_R

I think I may have found part of the family in 1841 at HO107, Piece 377, Book 5, Folio 16, Page 27 in Clifton Gloucestershire:-

Wm Reed 30
    Wm Stinchcomb 25
    Jas Smith 25
    Jemima Smith 20
    Sarah Blackmore 20
    Georgiana Blackmore 15
    Ann Staple 30

Ken_R

And the others seem to be in Taunton at HO107, Piece 972, Book 1, Folio 9, Page 9.

Ken_R

Just trying to tidy this up a little. Sarah Staple(s) in 1851, shown born Orchard Portman, Somerset. I had to look it up. It's just a few miles South of Taunton.

Still in 1851, Thomas Blackmore shown born Churchstanton, Devon, 1799, which is a few miles SW of Taunton. Do we have corroboration of this because in 1841 he is shown born 'in County' i.e. Somerset, 1801.

I think I've just answered my own question by finding on LDS an entry for Church-Stanton 3 Jun 1798, parents Richard and Joan.

I WAS looking at an entry for Somerton. Somerset, 26 Mar 1797, parents Isaac & Ann, but I think we can set that one aside.

BTW, it always amuses me with the LDS when they insist on locations being Devonshire and Somersetshire. These Counties have never been 'Shires'.

Two Nations separated by the same Language.

Ken_R

Thinking aloud, I'm intrigued by the 1841 entry for Clifton showing Ann Staple! Is this a sister to Sarah Blackmore nee Staples, or an illegitimate daughter of hers? And her occupation - Lace Maker. Normally this would be associated with the East Midlands - Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire.

And the other two, Sarah & Georgina, seem to be of 'Independant means' (If I've read it correctly) so, what are they doing in that household and what is their relation to the other occupants.

There seems to be a lot to unravel here.

Dear Ken
    thankyou. yes there is a lot to unravel, been trying for some years now. I am just lucky to have found this website last weekend.
    the members have been terrific in their help. A lot better than some of the staff in the family history societys I have been in contact with. I personally spoke to Paul Milner when he visited Canberra Australia recently about my Hodges/Blackmore problem.
    Paul also said that for Sarah Georgina Hodges to be living with independent means also, meant she received a large inheritance from a family member but as yet have not found where. Sarah Georgina Hodges is the daughter of William Hodges and Sarah Staples Blackmore. Georgiana Blackmore is the aunt of Sarah Georgina Hodges. What I believe Ann Staples is the sister of Sarah Blackmore nee STaples. I have Ann Staple died 1786, with sisters Sarah born 1793, died 1848, brothers William 1789-1789 and John born 1787 with parents William Staple and Ann Burridge (married 7 Jun 1785 Pawlett Somersetshire).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast