Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drapers

Wilkes_ml

Maybe useful is the marriage of Sarah Steple Blackmore (daughter of Thomas Blackmore a miller) to William Hodges ( a clerk, son of Thomas Hodges a publican) both of Bull Head Court, married at Christ Church, London 28th Feb 1847. I expect that William and Sarah Steple are probably the parents of Sarah Georgina.
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 05-08-2013 at 9:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Wilkes_ml

Indeed, Sarah Georgina was born 14th April 1848 and baptized 16th July 1848 at St. Botolph Aldersgate, daughter of William and Sarah Staple? abode 15 Edmund Place, and father's occupation a clerk.

Although Sarah gives her birth place as hackney in 1881, and Aldgate in 1871, and her age is a few years off in both census, I think we can be reasonably certain that this is the same Sarah Georgina.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi, Yes confirmed that Willam Hodges and Sarah Staple Blackmore are Sarah Georginas parents.

Wilkes_ml

It is possible that Sarah Georgina died or married between 1881 and 1901...not always easy to track down. or she may have also emigrated.

yep..sorry, I missed your earlier post about the Blackmores, they daughters certainly seemed wealthy in the 1851 census and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Blackmore Aunts came to Sarah Georgina's aide in her time of need.

I think I found her later working as a dressmaker

Wilkes_ml

I just realised that the Sarah Georgina who was born in 1848 must have died, as a second one was born in 1849 which I missed!

The only possible sighting of her is in 1901 at Stoke Newington where there is a Sarah Hodges living with an unmarried sister Mary Hodges, both born Hackney. But I doubt this is your Sarah.

The only idea i have for trying to identify Edward's father is to search for bastardy bonds and allegations which may have survived. there may also be notices in the newspaper if any order was made against the father. However, as the family seemed to be pretty independent and may not have needed help from the parish, they may not have been involved in any pursuits for maintenance.

hi again,
    the other interesting thing I have is that on Edward Jnrs Austn marriage cert if lists he is widowed, but family lore is that he married someone by the name of catherine/cassie etc but put her in an aslyum before departing England, but still trying to find her and verify that.
    Was told years ago by UK Parish source (cannot remember which one at the moment) that whether you are illegimate or not after 1837, you must put the fathers name on baptismal records.

Wilkes_ml

baptism records are different to birth records in the UK. The baptism registers are controlled by the church and their rules and regulations and may differ from church to church, whereas the birth records are controlled by the government and those rules are universal across England and Wales from 1837. I am sure there is info somewhere, but I believe that when registering a birth the father had to be present for his name to be included unless the woman could prove she was married ( and I would guess that meant producing a marriage certificate) but I would suspect that there were a few that did take a willing man along with her to the register office to pretend to be the father.

As for baptism records, I'm not sure what level of poof was needed, but again, I have come across many entries in baptism registers where no father has been named, or a rather has been reputed but not confirmed, and have in my own family come across women who have given a fake father's name in the baptism records.

Wilkes_ml

As for Edward Harris Hodges leaving a wife behind in the UK when he left for Australia, it isn't as mad as it sounds. Though she may not have been left behind in an institute. I had an ancestors sister who left her husband behind when she went to Australia..she had several children in Australia by 2 other men and none of her descendants knew her first husband had still been alive in England (but she never married when her first husband was still alive).

I also had a man leave his wife and 2 kids in the work house, while he went to the USA and he did remarry bigamously..it wasn't that unusual then when divorce wasn't a real option.

You know Edward Harris Hodges left for Australia by 1901, so you just need to obtain and check any potential marriages.

Wilkes_ml

Do you have an exact date that Edward left the Uk for Australia or an exact date that he arrived in Australia. I have a theory, but need to look into it a bit more. I suspect that Edward may have changed his name for some reason, which is why he disappears after 1881.

hi, yes Edward Harris Hodges embarked on the ship Suevic from Liverpool on 29 Oct 1901.
    Arrived in Perth Western Australia, stayed on board ship until it reach Sydney New South Wales where he travelled to Goldfields in country town of Bega to take up a teaching position at the new school created by the Carden and Lawler families.
    it was to this family of Lawler that he married one of his students. his age 31yrs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12