Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

hi yes thankyou. I have done this for all birhs deaths and marriages reference numbers in Australia and in the UK when I see them.

janbooth

Hi Doreen,

William looks to have remarried to an Ann sometime around 1861 as in the 1871 census he is living in Bushey, Hertfordshire (RG10/1380, folio 151, page 5) shown as a 44 year old Clerk, born Cheltenham. Ann is shown as aged 35, born Walsall, Staffs and they have a daughter Anne aged 9 born Hampstead, Middlesex. By the 1881 William is in Kings Norton, shown as married, a Clerk, no sign of wife Anne but now has 2 daughters Anne & Edith who is aged 8 and born in Watford, Herts. The family are boarding with a Flora KETTLE. By the 1901 census, William is living in Yardley, Worcestershire shown as a widower, Retired Commercial Clerk, living at 30 Baker Street. There is a death registration in the December qtr 1907 at Cheltenham reg district of a William HODGES, aged 80, which sounds a possibility for your William.

If you would like me to look for the father of Thomas and the father of his 2nd wife Sarah, I will need their names and professions from their marriage certificate to enable me to look on the Herefordshire Marriage Index.

Janet

janbooth

Don't think the death in Cheltenham is your William as a newspaper article in the Cheltenham Chronicle shows the will of a William HODGES who died in October 8 1907 and who was the manager of Simmonds & Company's Bank, Reading.

Janet

dear Janet
    So far I have not been able to find a marriage for Thomas Hodges and 2nd wife Sarah. The information about a 2nd marriage was given to me by Gloucestershire Family History Society. They found Thomas, Sarah, Frederick and baby Sarah in the 1851 census when they were helping me confirm Thomas 1st wife death by matching up with occupation of innkeeper/publican. I sent an email to the Herefordshire family history society for help but they advised they cannot help. Suggested I try Herefore Records Office. Sent off same email to them but no reply as yet.
    With regard to William remarrying, why then would he not take his two chilldren from 1st marriage to live with him. Secondly I would like to confirm via marriage or death that William's parents are Thomas Hodges and Catherine Baugh. Do you suggest then that I purchase the death cert of William to find out. This will take a few weeks for it to arrive in Australia. I would prefer to try and find out by other means before ordering the cert.

janbooth

Hi Doreen,

No, I wouldn't send for the death certificate I found for William at Cheltenham because I do not think it is your William. However, this could help you considerably:

From Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette dated 22 February 1838:

Married: Mr Thomas HODGES of Cheltenham to Sarah only daughter of the late Mr EDWARDS of Tressick near Ross

and there is a marriage registration in the March qtr 1838 at Gloucester reg district of a Thomas HODGES and one of the other names on the page is that of a Sarah EDWARDS - bingo!

Hopefully more to follow.

Janet

janbooth

Took a bit of time, but IGI Family Search has the following record which matches the details from the marriage registration and the newspaper article:

8 February 1838 at Gloucester Thomas HODGES, father William HODGES, and Sarah EDWARDS, father James EDWARDS

From Herefordshire FHS Burial Index:

20 October 1837 at Sellack James EDWARDS of Lawless Hill, aged 57

This fits in with where Sarah shows her birthplace in census records and is only 3 miles from Ross so I wonder if the newspaper should have read Sellack instead of Tressick which in turn is only 4 miles from Ross. This is the only appropriate burial for a James EDWARDS on the Index.

There is a marriage on the Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index on 2 March 1792 at Hereford All Saints of a William HODGES and an Anne BRIDGES by licence which may be relevant to you.

I think to track back with any certainty, you will need to purchase the marriage certificate of Thomas and his second wife Sarah which will at least give you the professions of their father which may make tracing them a little easier.

Hope this helps further.

Janet

hi Janet
    have ordered the marriage certificate for Thomas Hodges and Sarah Edwards. UK BDM office said it would take about 3 weeks to arrive here in Australia. now to wait unless other info appears.
    once again thanls, Doreen

janbooth

Glad to be of help. Let us know how you get on.

Janet

hi Janet
    just received today the marriage certificate of Thomas Hodges and Sarah Edwards.
    thomas' father William Hodges , occupation Yeoman, Sarah's father James occupation Labourer.

Thomas' residence at time of marriage 3 Herefordshire House, cheltenham. Sarah's 39 Alvin St, Cheltenham.
    now to try and find Thomas' mother.

janbooth

Hello again Doreen,

It's good to know that the marriage certificate confirmed our findings. However, I don't know about you, but I am finding difficulty taking Thomas's line back any further. The only marriage I can find on the Index that appears to fit is the one I gave you of a William HODGES to Anne BRIDGES in 1792. No trace of a burial for William HODGES at Hereford but it does only go up to 1837. However, there is a burial at Hereford St Owen on 16 July 1831 of an Ann HODGES, aged 81 giving her a birthdate of c1750 perhaps a little old to be Thomas's mother? I notice on the 1841 census of Withington (5 miles from Hereford) there is a William HODGES, aged 75, Ag Lab, born in the county, living with a Thomas HODGES, aged 65, also an Ag Lab (HO107/419/19, folio 5, page 4). Don't know whether he could be anything to do with your Thomas. Another candidate could be a William HODGES at Preston Wynn (HO107/419/20, folio 5, page 4). They are both in the district of Hereford.

Will keep looking to see if I can come up with anything else.

Janet

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast