Sally B

Default WW1 Hospital St. Neots

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the WW1 VAD hospital in St. Neots? We are researching men from our village who fought and died in WW1 and one of our soldiers was treated at a hospital in St. Neots. We hope to publish a book next year so if anyone knows of any photographs, written history of the hospital that would be very helpful.

Hello Sally and welcome.

Have you tried the local history society and the Cambridgeshire records office?

Sally B

Hello Neil,
    We have contacted the local museum and are hoping they can help us. As St. Neots was/is in Huntingdonshire the records are held by Huntingdon Archives not Cambs, I have just e mailed them so fingers crossed.

dave jarrett

Hi Sally
    The VAD hospital in St Neots was at 20 Market Square (now Shepherd Stubbs employment agency). There are no known photographs. There was a recent article about it in a recent issue of the St Neots Local History Society's magazine. Which village are you researching?

It sometimes pays to register your search with an auction site. I use Ebay to look for things linked to my 1-place study - whenever anything with the word "Whitsome" in its description comes up, I get an email, and then I can either save the catalogue image or buy whatever they're offering. There's an amazing range of postcards out there, many made by forgotten photographers!

Reputation beyond repute

This site, although dedicated to the Kent VAD, does contain some useful general tips on VAD research -

https://www.kentvad.org/pages/research-tips.html