Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Kate W

Default WW1 concert party research

Hello everyone. My name is Kate Wills, and although I dabble in family history, I spend most of my time researching military concert parties during the Great War 1914-1919.

The index to my research is on two databases, one noting army concert parties (933 so far), and the other registering names of their members and individual entertainers / performers (3007 so far).

I am always scouting to expand my research, so if you have any information relating to concert parties and entertainment in WW1, or think I may be able to help you, please drop a line.

Regards

Kate

Starting to feel at home

Kate,

Do you have information about "The Firing Liners" concert party led by Music Hall artist Nelson Jackson in France during the early summer of 1917? He aslo toured England with the Nelson Jackson Comedy Concert Party. I had no idea there were so many parties and entertainers!

Deeny

Kate W

Deeny,

Nelson Jackson wasn't, as far as I know, in an army concert party, but a civilian entertainer who was a member of an organisation called 'Concerts at the Front'.

In short, professional actress, musician and theatre manager Lena Ashwell created this organisation, and worked closely with the YMCA, who played a major part in providing recreational facilities for the military. Lena Ashwell went around the country tirelessly raising money so she could send professional artistes in concert groups (of around six performers in each) across to the Western Front. Eventually, she recruited 600 to the cause. At first these groups were confined to hospitals and camps on or near the coast, but the biggest need was closest to the actual front. However, civilian women were not allowed beyond a certain point, so several male performers of Concerts at the Front volunteered to form what they called Firing Line parties. One of these was Nelson Jackson.

Lena Ashwell recounts the work of Concerts at the Front in her book Modern Troubadours, which is available as a free download from the Internet Archive https://
    archive.org/index.php Unfortunately, Lena (one of my heroines!) seldom mentions her artistes by name (perhaps because some were more active than others) but here is an extract concerning Nelson Jackson:

"...Then there was the night in Calais when I heard the
    party of men Walter Hyde, Charles Tree, Arthur Fagge,
    Nelson Jackson, and Percy Sharman, who were just on
    their way to the firing line. It was wonderful to hear
    the joy that these fine artists gave to the men of the
    Remounts, who were packed tightly in the hut.

There was rather a good story of a man who had lost his
    horse, and, as it was rather a large thing to lose, had to be
    reported to the C.O. When the C.O. expostulated and
    said, " You might lose a small thing, but of course you
    can't lose a horse. What have you done with it ? " the
    man said, " Well, it was dark when I come in last night,
    and I anchored the horse with a bit o' string, and when I
    come in the morning, there he was gone... "

Modern Troubadours includes a whole chapter on the Firing Line parties. Enjoy!!

gasser

There is also chapter in the Stage Book 1917 which is entitled 'the Firing Liners' by Nelson Jackson -you can see it here..
    https://
    archive.org/stream/stageyearbo1917londuoft#page/56/mode/2up/search/The+Firing+Liners

Starting to feel at home

Kate,

Thanks so much for that information and for the great link to Lena Ashwell's book.

She was an amazing woman to have founded and administrated such a worthwhile entertainment organisation for the benefit of soldiers.

Deeny

Starting to feel at home

Gasser,

Tony Barker reproduced this wonderfully descriptive piece from The Stage in his Music Hall biography of Nelson Jackson, but I have just thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it.

I hope other members here have followed the link out of interest. They were such brave (or foolhardy!) men, these old Front Line entertainers.

Deeny

islandjj

Hi
    My grandfather was a member of concert parties on the western front , Gallipoli and the occupation of Germany in 1919.
    His name was Horace Davey ,
    I'm not sure if you have any information on him, my Mum seems to think they were called the "mumming birds" I've some photos of the concerts some where if your interested

Kind regards Jonathan

Kate, I'm researching my grandfather Harold Duce who was with the 'Pedlars Concert Party'. Do you know anything about them? I have a great photo of them all, and a collection of early 1900's postcards/photos of music hall entertainers who may or may not have been concert party entertainers during or after WW1. Most of them are unnamed, though some are.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Kate,

I have been researching primarily seaside pierrot troupes & concert parties for over 30 years now and would very much like to chat and exchange information about your knowledge of those of the 1st WW, especially as I have now been asked to look at doing some research with local communities and schools on the topic. I hope to hear back from you soon. Tony
    PS You can also contact me by direct email - infoATprom-promDOTcom
    Last edited by christanel; 28-02-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Fiona Spark

Hi Kate

I work at a school in West Yorkshire and doing some research on an ex-pupil called Phyllis Lett, who was an opera singer in the UK from about 1906- 1924, when she emigrated to Australia. I think she may have performed for the troops in a concert party in the 1914-1918 war - I wondered if you have any information on her?

Many thanks

Fiona

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast