BernieD

Default James Shortall 1853 Kilkenny

Hi
    Can anyone help. I am tracing my partners family tree and am stuck. His g/grandfather James Shortall was born around 1853. Have his death cert 20/07/1893 in Dublin. Listed as age 40 a tailor and late of Kilkenny Ireland. He married Marcella Dunne. Am trying to get next generation but need district in Kilkenny. His parents were Patrick Shortall and Anne?. His son was Sir Patrick Lord mayor of Dublin in 1900's. If there was a tailors association it might say where born in Kilkenny.

Kind regards
    Bernie berniedowATgmailDOTcom
    Last edited by christanel; 31-07-2013 at 9:55 AM. Reason: email disguised to deter spam

Reputation beyond repute

I have found a whole family of Tailors called Cutler
    By a strange non-coincidence, a distant twig of my tree includes a cutler named Taylor.

Hello BernieD and a very warm welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.

I have moved your post to a thread of its own in the Ireland forum so it will be seen by more people and hopefully generate some helpful replies.

We also have a private message system where any information deemed not suitable for an open forum can be exchanged. To use the pm system just click on the user name and in the drop down menu click on private message.

Good luck with your query.

Christanel

Knowledgeable and helpful

Rootsireland (pay to view) has a couple of marriages between a Patrick Shortal(l) and Anne in Co Kilkenny. One was in 1832, the other 1835. You might want to check those out.

There’s also a James Shortell baptism in 1851 in the same county. Next step would be to look to see if the baptism is to one of those sets of parents, ideally in the same parish. Might help you work out who your James was.
    ELWYN

BernieD

Default James Shortall

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    Rootsireland (pay to view) has a couple of marriages between a Patrick Shortal(l) and Anne in Co Kilkenny. One was in 1832, the other 1835. You might want to check those out.

There’s also a James Shortell baptism in 1851 in the same county. Next step would be to look to see if the baptism is to one of those sets of parents, ideally in the same parish. Might help you work out who your James was.
    Hi Elwyn

Thanks for info. Do you have any idea in what area or district or parish of Kilkenny Anne & Patrick were married. It would narrow my search. I have recently discovered James grave in Glasnevin but unfortunately it does not mention where in Kilkenny he is from.

Regards
    BernieD

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by BernieD View Post
    Hi Elwyn

Thanks for info. Do you have any idea in what area or district or parish of Kilkenny Anne & Patrick were married. It would narrow my search. I have recently discovered James grave in Glasnevin but unfortunately it does not mention where in Kilkenny he is from.

Regards
    BernieD
    No. You need to pay to find that information out.
    ELWYN

locallad27

In the 1901 census of Ireland a
    Shortall family lived in Castlecomer (Creoghtenclogh)
    the 'head' is Eliza (widow) Dressmaker (would it be possible her husband would be a Tailor)
    there is also James (son) in the family, and it's known that often the
    son was named after the father.
    Might narrow the search
    =========
    Jack