Starting to feel at home

Default Military births India

Hi

I am trying to establish the mother of a Catherine F. Kearins born 1862 in Poona.
    The father is William Kearins (b.1826 Kerry) of the 95th Regiment of Foot.

I have found Catherine's birth on FindMyPast and was wondering if it was worth ordering the birth certificate from GRO especially as the page says the mother's name is not available before 1966.
    Just what information is on the overseas birth certs? Does anyone know?

Cheers
    Barb

Dizzy600

Hi Barb,

Did you mean 1866?

I have a birth certificate for my 2x gt grandmother who was born in 1868 in M'how, India. Her father was in the 95th Foot. It gives her date of birth, place, date of baptism, name. Parents names but not mother's maiden name. Rank of father.

Familysearch has India, Births & Baptisms 1786 - 1947

Catherine Fanny Kerrins born 12 March 1862. Baptism: 28 March 1862, Bombay, India. Parents: William Kerrins, Elizabeth.

Karen

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Googled name and came up with this

https://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-03/0954190598

FMP has possibly 3 children

William b 1860

Catherine F b 1862

Edward b 1863

The Army records advises that William KEARINS was b 1826 / shoemaker / in 1861 was serving in Poona East Indies as a Corporal no 1784 with 95th Foot ( Derbyshire) He served 20 years from 1846

He was born Kiltallow Castlemaine Kerry, there is no mention of a wife or children

He is listed on the The Indian Mutiny Medal Roll (British Forces) 1857-1859. He is alos in 'possession of Turkish & Central India medals.

He served in Crimea for 27 months and India 7yrs 9 months transferring at 1866 to the Militia

Starting to feel at home

Karen
    No the page on FMP says maiden name of mother may not be given prior to 1966.

I had a look on FamilySearch prior and could not see anything so thanks for that. Maybe I need to register.

Would you be able to look and see if possible other children WilliamJ.Kearins b.1860 Neemuch, and Edmund Kearins b.1863 Hydrabad might have the mother Elizabeth.

The person we are trying to track down is a Susan Mary Kearins, b.1857 we believe born on the "Polmaise" 1857 as the 95th was on their way to India. No luck on BDM.

Thank you kindly
    Barb

Starting to feel at home

Geneius
    Thanks for info. Thus we have so far. Trying to find Susan Mary Kearins b.1857 born on Polmaise as 95th Regiment on way to India.
    Barb

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Susan Mary Polmaise KEARNS / KERRINS

Birth1857 On Board ship 'Polmaise' in Bay of Biscay, India.( not listed with GRO so maybe one or both of the parents were not UK born!)
    Death 28 Jun 1937 in Mangatainoka, Pahiatua, New Zealand
    Cemetery name Mangatainoka, Pahiatua, New Zealand Name on headstone Susan Rundell

Suggest you google her name!
    https://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-05/0958340263

Dizzy600

Hi Barb,

You don't need to register to use Familysearch. I used a wildcard in the spelling of the name e.g. I put in 'Ke*rins' and that brought them up.

Edmund is listed as Edward, born 19 Feb 1863. Christened 25 December 1863, Hydrabad, India. Parents: William Kerrins & Elizabeth.

William is listed in the Deaths & Burials 1719 - 1948. William Kerrins, born 1860. Death: 29 September 1863, Burial: 29 September 1863, Neemuch, Bombay, India. Parents: Kerrins.

William snr and my 3x gt grandfather would have known each other! Mine served in the Crimea and Indian Mutiney as well.

Hope you weren't affected by the recent earthquake!

Regards
    Karen

Starting to feel at home

Karen
    Thanks for further info. on the siblings,most useful.
    Interesting to think they may have served together.
    Re.earthquake... no about 300 ks away from us but we had a nice long rumble.
    Barb.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by triggerandme View Post
    Karen
    No the page on FMP says maiden name of mother may not be given prior to 1966.
    Your entry is from the Regimental Birth Indexes which I am not familiar with, but if you look at an entry in the England and Wales Index (e.g. Thomas Gambold born Qtr April 1862) you will see "Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3", and what that relates to is the INDEX not the CERTIFICATE, and I wonder if that's the case with the Regimental Birth Indexes.

Dizzy600

The Regimental Birth Certificate I obtained from the year 1868 doesn't give the mother's maiden name.