Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    louisem

Default Aided immigration to South Africa

Hi
    I wonder if anyone has the book "Aided immigration from Britain to South Africa 1857 to 1867"by Esme Bull. I am trying to trace a Willaim James Barnes that left the UK as a child with his uncle Abe Barnes. William was born about 1854 (have no idea where!) after his father, who was a soldier was killed. William married Emily Preis in South Africa and died in 1965 in Standerton South Africa. He had daughters, and only one son called Francis Jeffey, I was hoping that there is any reference in the book that may lead to a place of birth! I know it is a long shot but I am eternally hopeful!

Thanks

Sadly I can't see him listed in Esme Bull. Have you searched eggsa.org?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

If you can find a death notice for either William or Abraham at https://www.national.archives.gov.za/ it might give a place of birth
    Sue Mackay

louisem

Tnaks a mil Sue. What I can find in Naairs is
    DEPOT TAB SOURCE CJC TYPE LEER VOLUME_NO 21 SYSTEM 01 REFERENCE CJC348 PART 1 DESCRIPTION CLAIMS FOR COMPENSATION BRITISH SUBJECTS TRANSVAAL. STANDERTON. WILLIAM JAMES BARNES. STARTING 1903 ENDING 1904
    Do you think that it is worth persuing this document?

I have a similar compensation claim document (following the Boer War) for my great grandmother, and is contains several pages of fascinating information (though not her place of birth). As it is a TAB document you can order it for a nominal charge from eggsa.org (put www in front and follow links on home page from Document Ordering Service FAQ) and it will be e-mailed to you.
    Sue Mackay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Emma Amelia JACK ancestors in South Africa

Hi Sue,

I'm looking for some information about my grandmother Emma Amelia JACK born in 1882 in the Cape Province with no further details.
    She married my grandfather Roger Dudley Wallace SHAW born on the 3rd of Jan 1877 in Grahamstown.
    I searched the NAIRS files but found no information whatsoever about the JACK side of the family.
    According to a cousin of mine my great grandfather was Robert Alan JACK and his wife Emma EDGEWORTH?
    Would you please look up their names in the book about "Aided Immigration from Britain to SA" ?
    Many thanks

John

PS: My mother always stated that her family came from Scotland but I found no trace of this on the SHAW side that I traced up to the 18th century in Northumberland

Quote Originally Posted by John Kat View Post
    According to a cousin of mine my great grandfather was Robert Alan JACK and his wife Emma EDGEWORTH?
    Would you please look up their names in the book about "Aided Immigration from Britain to SA" ?

PS: My mother always stated that her family came from Scotland but I found no trace of this on the SHAW side that I traced up to the 18th century in Northumberland
    There is a Robert JACK(S), aged 22, ploughman, travelling from Scotland to Beaufort West, who sailed on the Edward Oliver, which departed Liverpool on 9 July 1858 and arrived in Table Bay on 12 September.

A Robert JACK with wife and family (no ages given) emigrated from South Africa to New Zealand on the Eveline on 2 December 1864
    Sue Mackay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    There is a Robert JACK(S), aged 22, ploughman, travelling from Scotland to Beaufort West, who sailed on the Edward Oliver, which departed Liverpool on 9 July 1858 and arrived in Table Bay on 12 September.

A Robert JACK with wife and family (no ages given) emigrated from South Africa to New Zealand on the Eveline on 2 December 1864
    Many thanks, I'll try to follow the path of the Robert JACK who sailed on the "Edward Oliver"

Quote Originally Posted by John Kat View Post
    Hi Sue,

I'm looking for some information about my grandmother Emma Amelia JACK born in 1882 in the Cape Province with no further details.
    She married my grandfather Roger Dudley Wallace SHAW born on the 3rd of Jan 1877 in Grahamstown.
    I presume there is a typo here somewhere? Emma Amelia can't have been born in 1882 if she married in 1877?

I also assume that this baptism is your family? If so this Robert Allan would be the second Robert Allan, as this one (born 1869) appears to have married in 1902.

The Scottish element might connect to this Robert?
    Sue Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    I presume there is a typo here somewhere? Emma Amelia can't have been born in 1882 if she married in 1877?
    My apologies. Have just read this properly and realise 1877 was the groom's date of birth. I've just HAD a holiday so I must just be going senile!
    Sue Mackay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast