Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Patsyann126 View Post
    Hello I'm brand new to this fabulous site wish I'd discovered it a few years ago! I'm struggling to find details of an ancestor named Harriet. Born in 1825 in Selsey, Sussex she is on the 1861 UK Census (age 36) as married to Samuel Jones and living in St Ebbes, Oxford. Between 1852-1858 she had 4 children all born in Cape of Good Hope but was back in Oxfordshire by 1860/61. I don't have her maiden name so impossible to search for her on 1841 UK Census as a girl of 16 or UK Baptism records. How do I find either passenger lists outwards or inwards between these dates?
    I'm afraid the answer is with great difficulty. You could have a read of this thread and try to find the baptisms of the children at the Cape. Esme Bull's book covers 1857-1867, which is a tad late for you, but it does have a couple of annexures at the end with earlier listings. One of these lists a Samuel Jones, aged 23, who sailed to the Cape on the Coromandel, arriving on 4 May 1848, but sadly no further details listed. If Harriet was on the same ship it would be difficult to find her without a maiden name. However, I found the 1861 census entry and there appears to have been a child Charles born in St.Ebbes just before the census. If you get his birth certificate it should give you the maiden name of his mother.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

The new GRO index has birth registration Charles Albert Jones June 1/4 1861 mother's maiden name Wiltshire.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Baptism 28 January 1828,Harriet Wiltshire, in the parish of Selsey Sussex Father Thomas Wiltshire, mother Harriet. FHL film 1041562

There is a Samuel Jones marriage record March 1/4 1847 Alverstoke registration district and on the same page is a Harriet Wiltshire.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123