Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    My apologies. Have just read this properly and realise 1877 was the groom's date of birth. I've just HAD a holiday so I must just be going senile!
    Not to worry, I'm so glad to get your help.
    I believe the story is quite clear: The Baptism in 1870 is for my grandmother's brother as the parents are identical.
    The same brother got married in 1902 according to your second document.
    Last but not least Robert Allen Jack was born in 1833 in Forfarshire and was in the military before becoming a farmer in SA.
    Amazing!
    Many thanks
    John

Here are some more baptisms for children of Robert and Emma:

William Henry

Margaret

Amy

Andrew

and here is the baptism of a daughter of Dudley and Emma Amelia Shaw
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Here are some more baptisms for children of Robert and Emma:

William Henry

Margaret

Amy

Andrew

and here is the baptism of a daughter of Dudley and Emma Amelia Shaw
    I've entered them in my genealogy ( https://gw.geneanet.org/hjohn1_w?lang...ee&&&&&&i=1396 ) but allthough I've searched up to the page 100, I still can't find Emma Amelia as one of Robert and Emma's kids?

Maybe they moved?

With reference to Aided Emigration. This has been such a useful thread, but where can i look for people who left Cornwall between 1883 and 1890 when the BT registers kick in?
    I have searched and searched for John Charles May's (b1870) first trip to SA - I have the later ones, post 1892 of him going to and fro but nothing in between. His step-father, James Miners (b1854 - a builder/mason) left Camborne shortly after his wife's death and married (maybe) a Jane Rowe. They had a child Frederick who was born in South Africa in about 1885/6. Jane is back in Cornwall in time for the 1901 census with Frederick and the girls of James first marriage. Is there anywhere else I can look? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Triff61 View Post
    With reference to Aided Emigration. This has been such a useful thread, but where can i look for people who left Cornwall between 1883 and 1890 when the BT registers kick in?
    I have searched and searched for John Charles May's (b1870) first trip to SA - I have the later ones, post 1892 of him going to and fro but nothing in between. His step-father, James Miners (b1854 - a builder/mason) left Camborne shortly after his wife's death and married (maybe) a Jane Rowe. They had a child Frederick who was born in South Africa in about 1885/6. Jane is back in Cornwall in time for the 1901 census with Frederick and the girls of James first marriage. Is there anywhere else I can look? Thanks.
    It isn't easy! You can try here but sadly a lot of newspaper reports, even if you know the name of the ship, just list the first class passengers and then say "plus 100 in steerage".
    Sue Mackay

Thank you again, Sue. I will give it a try....it's so frustrating!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Immigration to South Africa - Mower 1867

Good morning. I have eventually tracked down this thread and am hoping that you can supply me with information about my ancestor from Erchfont, Wiltshire - Charles Mower - journeyman carpenter, who is reported to have taken his family (wife Elizabeth - needlewoman, daughter Elizabeth and son James) to South Africa arriving in Durban in 1867.

Also do you know whether the book Aided Immigration from Britain to South Africa, 1857-1867. Front Cover. Esmé Bull. Human Sciences Research Council, 1991 (or the data in this book) is available in digital format.

I am hoping you will be able to help me as you have done with sooooo many who are researching our families with British heritage

Many thanks
    Imogen

Hallo Imogen, and welcome to British Genealogy.

There is a hard copy of Esme Bull's book in the library of the Society of Genealogists in London. However, sadly I cannot find any reference to Charles Mower. The book only lists those on the aided immigration scheme, not those who paid for their own passage, and also the book mainly covers those who emigrated to Capetown and Algoa Bay.

Many of those who emigrated to Natal are listed in Shelagh Spencer's website although I can't see Charles Mower listed there either. Still, you might like to look through her site.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you get yourself a reader's ticket to the British Library in St.Pancras, London, which is free. I think you have to apply in person, having filled in a form on their website, but once you have a reader's number you can register to access their e-resources for free. This includes the World Newspaper Archive, and you can view original copies of the Natal Witness online at home. There is a search engine, but it's worth looking through all the shipping notices for 1867 as sometimes names in small print don't get included in the index.
    Sue Mackay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hallo Imogen, and welcome to British Genealogy.

There is a hard copy of Esme Bull's book in the library of the Society of Genealogists in London. However, sadly I cannot find any reference to Charles Mower. The book only lists those on the aided immigration scheme, not those who paid for their own passage, and also the book mainly covers those who emigrated to Capetown and Algoa Bay.

Many of those who emigrated to Natal are listed in Shelagh Spencer's website although I can't see Charles Mower listed there either. Still, you might like to look through her site.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you get yourself a reader's ticket to the British Library in St.Pancras, London, which is free. I think you have to apply in person, having filled in a form on their website, but once you have a reader's number you can register to access their e-resources for free. This includes the World Newspaper Archive, and you can view original copies of the Natal Witness online at home. There is a search engine, but it's worth looking through all the shipping notices for 1867 as sometimes names in small print don't get included in the index.
    Thanks Sue. Your response time and helpfulness are appreciated. I have had a quick look at the website but seen nothing as yet - but it s another great online resource that I can use for other members of the family ... and I will also plan to get to the British Library soon.
    Again thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello I'm brand new to this fabulous site wish I'd discovered it a few years ago! I'm struggling to find details of an ancestor named Harriet. Born in 1825 in Selsey, Sussex she is on the 1861 UK Census (age 36) as married to Samuel Jones and living in St Ebbes, Oxford. Between 1852-1858 she had 4 children all born in Cape of Good Hope but was back in Oxfordshire by 1860/61. I don't have her maiden name so impossible to search for her on 1841 UK Census as a girl of 16 or UK Baptism records. How do I find either passenger lists outwards or inwards between these dates?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast