Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    horseshoe

Default mining occupation

hello,

Does anyone know a coal miner " shat fire" below was?. I have found this on one of the records and not on any occupations records, unless it is a mistake?.

thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Not sure what 'shat fire' was.........but I bet you didn't want him close by.

Any chance of seeing the record, so we can have a peek.

gasser

My guess is 'Shot firer' ... there again, I could be wrong...

horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Not sure what 'shat fire' was.........but I bet you didn't want him close by.

Any chance of seeing the record, so we can have a peek.

Hello, thanks for that!, I reckon it might be close, given the lack of literacy and the illegibility of handwriting, one has to guess and match up with mining occupations, I will have a look on the mining sites.

I have not got the record, I went onto some free site, I might go on again and subscribe especially now as I have got more than I bargained for; well, I wanted something exiting, I think, I am not too sure but I may have found a ancestor who was killed in a mine , I will have to check up and cross ref.

By the way-love the wit!

thanks again.

Brian S

Shot Firers job was using explosives either on the Coal Face or in the mines Roadways.

Did the job myself for a few years.

Welshbaba

Well that is new to me, almost all my ancestors were down the pitt at some time, but no one shat coal...lol (though it might have been rather black) As far as I know they were generally called scrapers, were they not? If not, when did the name "shot firers" historically appear? It would just generally interest me...
    ?

Brian S

Mining terminology varied greatly from area to area.

My own recollections only go back to 1953 when I started work at the Local Colliery. At that time most coal faces were hand filled(pick and shovel).
    The shot firer had a metal "SCRAPER" which was double ended. One was for scraping out any loose material left when the shot hole was bored and the other to detect any breaks in the hole.
    He also had a wooden "ramming Stick" which was much like a long broom handle. This was used to push the Charge to the back of the shot hole and then to ram the charge with various material. As there was a Brickyard attached to the colliery we used the surplus clay.
    While the workmen themselves transported explosives in specially designed "bags" only a shot firer could carry the detonators and fire the shots.

Jack Richards

Most certainly a shot firer. Brian, your response takes me back in time. Hours shovelling coal on my knees, wooden pit props, steel bars and then ........ mechanisation -

Jack

Brian S

Hi Jack;
    been there done that and got the T Shirt.

I had 23ys on the Coalface before taking a Staff Job.
    Yes then came the Mechanisation with all the initial problems controlling Dust.
    Many friends went to their graves prematurely.

Welshbaba

I will probably never really be able to imagine, what it was like back then, no one really can, that has never worked underground. But I am now only a generation away from my Grandad surviving, against all odds, only to die at 60..not being able to breath anymore. (I know he had it better than many!) My mother told me, he held me in his arms as a baby, and although already very sick, he loved me and cutched me to bits :-)

After posting my question, I actually stumbled upon a court case, that queried the fireman and the scraper, (both were responsible for the shots) and it wasn't clear who was responsible for the accident. The court decided, that it was no ones fault (gas) and that both firemen and scrapers must be better overseen! Right, we've been there, haven't we? So many accidents, because it wasn't clear :-(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast