Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brian S

Default Local Newspaper Archives

Some years ago I had to look through the Local Newspaper Archives for the 1930 - 1940 period.
    What stood out most was the number of Local Deaths in the Industry.
    Almost every week there was an Obituary for a Local man (or boy) who had been killed in a mining accident. Occasionally there were two in a week.

Luckily Regulations were tightened up and the numbers dropped, but there were still too many deaths.

Now the Medical profession seem to be politically controlled when it comes to diagnosing Respiration problems.
    I had a friend who was examined by a Government Doctor and told his problems had nothing to do with mining. He was told the same when he appealed against the decision.
    18 months later he died. His Death Certificate said progressive Respiratory Disease, Mining Related.

His Widow was eventually compensated for her loss, but less than 50% of what should have been paid to my friend when he was alive.

I have been told exactly the same.

horseshoe

hello,

I went to the Durham Miners Gala some years ago, I saw a grown man weep at the sound of the colliery bands, that is when it all came home to me, I never thought -or knew at the time I was walking in the footsteps of my ancestors.

I have a distant relative born in 1864 who was a deputy over man in 1911, I am rather proud of him, he did better than most of his family, having lost his mother from typhus at an early age. What courage and grit, God bless him!.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshbaba View Post
    If not, when did the name "shot firers" historically appear? It would just generally interest me...
    ?
    The earliest I have found is from the Manchester times, Dec 1862, reporting an explosion at the Edmund's Main pit which included -
    "...... Johnson's duty was to fire shots and attend to the two board gates in that portion of the pit. The shot firers were appointed last Friday week; before that day the colliers fired their own shots. Joseph Walton was the other shot firer......."

Brian S

That's a very interesting report from the Manchester Times.

The gates referred to were probably what were called in later times "Air Doors". These controlled the Mines ventilation system and were usually in sets of three.
    This allowed the movement of Tubs or men between the fresh air (Intake) and the Air that had passed through the Coalface (Return) without causing the air flow to short cut.

horseshoe

hello again, I have now found my shot firing relative at last, I thought I had lost him, but persistence paid off!.
    Very dangerous job-oh dear and it seems only for the most steady and most experienced.
    I have been noticing while looking at my mining genealogy that the ages of the workers coincides with the type of job, the oldest got the most dangerous .
    I have two who were " shiftmen" any ideas what they were?. I have found some thing else on a census , which seems to be crossed out ?, barely legible which read " bla*ting below ground coal miner" .

Thanks. an exhausted but pleased horseshoe.

Brian S

Horseshoe;
    shiftwork as I knew it was 3 periods during the 24hrs which in my time were called "Dayshift" "Afternoon Shift" and "Night Shift".

Brian S

Quote Originally Posted by horseshoe View Post
    hello again, I have now found my shot firing relative at last, I thought I had lost him, but persistence paid off!.
    Very dangerous job-oh dear and it seems only for the most steady and most experienced.
    I have been noticing while looking at my mining genealogy that the ages of the workers coincides with the type of job, the oldest got the most dangerous .
    I have two who were " shiftmen" any ideas what they were?. I have found some thing else on a census , which seems to be crossed out ?, barely legible which read " bla*ting below ground coal miner" .

Thanks. an exhausted but pleased horseshoe.
    Bla*ting probably means BLASTING.
    Most likely what was later called a "Shot firer"
    Last edited by Brian S; 25-08-2013 at 5:10 PM. Reason: text

horseshoe

Brian, thank you for both your replies, the Blasting means I might have another? shot firer in the family, I would be proud!!, working class "aristocracy" thats mine!! , the shiftman job sounds as though it might explain why some of my mining ancestors are not on the census, would they have been on night duty then do you think Brian?.

Brian S

Should imagine that it is a strong possibility.

horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Should imagine that it is a strong possibility.
    Thank you!!, that solves a problem, good this is it not!, it is all an interesting jigsaw this genealogy.
    And the contributions of people such as yourself with the job you did can help the forum users.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast