marihughes

Default Lloyd of Pontfadog and Erw Wen

I am descended from Thomas Lloyd (1766 - 1804) of Pontfadog, gardener at Corsygedol, buried at Llanddwywe, via his eldest son John Lloyd of Erw Wen, Methodist preacher. I would love to know Thomas Lloyd's parentage, but despite much research have failed to find out so far. I would be very grateful if anyone has any information. Thank you.

gasser

Hello and welcome to the forum, marihughes.
    I notice this is your first post on on the forum and am surprised no-one has picked that up.
    Although I have not found anything to help you with the parentage of Thomas Lloyd, I can only refer you to www.
    genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Llangollen/ to chase church records which are deposited at Denbighshire Record Office and also the Bishop's Transcripts [years 1662 to 1835] which have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    I found just by doing google search on his name and Pontfadog an Abstract of Administration of Thomas Lloyd of Pontfadog at the National Archives. Reference:IR 26/287/630 Date: October 03 1805. I don't know if you have seen that. There is also a will of 'Thomas Lloyd, Gentleman of Wrexham , Denbighshire' Date range: 08 September 1794 - 08 September 1794 Reference:PROB 11/1249/161 .........not sure this man is relative to your query but a possibility, given the area.
    Here's hoping someone with more knowledge might pick this up .....
    Good luck with your quest.
    Last edited by gasser; 16-07-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling

marihughes

Default Lloyd of Pontfadog and Erw Wen

Hello and thank you for your welcome, Gasser, and for taking the trouble to do a little research on said Thomas Lloyd!

I've been looking for clues as to this gentleman's parentage for quite a while. I have visited his grave in Llanddwywe (where he is buried with his wife's grandfather so no clues there) and have obtained a copy of his will (he left a considerable sum of money laid out at interest). He was churchwarden at Llanddwywe and records of his time as 'gardener' at Corsygedol show that he held a senior position. The Bishop's Transcript record of his marriage is unfortunately torn, so I do not have the exact date of his marriage to Catherine William (whose parents are also buried at Llanddwywe). His son John (from whom I am descended) was a respected Calvinistic Methodist preacher (he merits a paragraph in Hanes Methodistiaeth Meirionydd) and farmed Erw Wen; he is buried at Capel Moreia in Harlech with other family members of his generation and younger.

Regarding his baptismal records - I have searched through the church records at Dolgellau and also the chapel records they hold there, with no luck. I think I might have to go further afield too and look at the Denbighshire records and also other chapel records held at Aberystwyth if I don't manage to obtain any information from any other relation or family member (he and Catherine had eight children so I might get lucky!)

Once again many thanks

Kind regards
    Mari

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My grandmothers father was supposedly the daughter of john Lloyd Erw wen llandanwg. She was illegitimate. Would love some more info on the family

marihughes

Default John Lloyd Erw Wen

Hi Bethan
    I have lots of information on John Lloyd and the family and would be very happy to share it with you. Also, as I live in the area it is easy for me to look up specific info in the Archives in Dolgellau, if you wish. If you would like my email address, let me know.
    Best wishes
    Mari

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Mari my John Lloyd was born in 1895 and died in 1960. That is all the information I haveof him, other than he had two other children Peggy and Ellis. I believe he lived in Harlech or Llanfair. I don't know if he is the same John Lloyd. Any information would be gratefully appreciated. Yes, your e-mail would be great.

Kind regards

Emma