p.mca

Default "Nurse" occupation on census- 1901

I have a possible 1901 Scottish census image for (possibly) my gggrandmother, noting occupation as 'nurse'. My question is whether that necessarily means nurse in the trained/medical sense. Might that be listed if she was looking after an elderly person in their home for example, much like a home care assistant these days. If nurse = medically trained nurse she is much less likely to be my ancestor. Other evidence as to the area and place of birth are correct. Your collective thoughts are much appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Who else was living in the household?

Was she a nurse to children? - Often described as such and are somewhere between wet nurse, nanny, and servant.

If there are just older people in the household then she may well have been a cross between a nurse and a care assistant.

A fountain of knowledge

If medically trained, she might get a mention at rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk (no www in front). But not being there won't prove anything either way.

p.mca

She was alone in the household, so no help there. Ten years earlier she was a servant in the house of retired east india merchant John Morgan. I will try the rcn archive as suggested, thank you.

Indigo_Child

I myself had been wondering where nurses got their training in the late 1800's. One great-aunt is listed as a "probationer nurse" in a hospital in the 1901 census and my step-great-grandmother was an "asylum nurse" in the 1911 census. Haven't been able to find any credible leads to how nurses were trained "back then".