Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default LEONARD HENRY COURLANDER

This thread fills in missing gaps relating to Leonard Henry Courlander son of Louis Courlander and Gertrude Hart. The publication of Australian and other records has helped in this process. The Hart/Courlander/Wulfson lines interrelate through marriage and include the marriage of Norton Courlander to Amelia Wulfson (Norton being a brother of Louis) and Amelia's parents being Leah Hart and Hermann Wulfson. Leah Hart was the daughter of Phoebe and Henry Hart- Phoebe being the daughter of Jacob and Eve/Eva Myers. Gertrude Hart was the daughter of Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Crawcour. Aaron Hart was the brother of Leah Hart. I hold copies of naturalisation papers for Norton and Louis Courlander which include their place of origin and the names of their parents and original surname; wills of Norton and Louis Courlander; birth, marriage and death certificates for the Hart/Wulfson/Courlander lines; 2 family trees for the Courlander; b/w photographs of some of the Courlander; naturalisation papers for Hermann Wulfson and his brother Lewis plus a data base built up over a decade on the various families. My own link is via my Myers/Hart paternal lines including Jacob Myers my 5x great grandfather and Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Crawcour my 3x great grandparents.
    In this first post on Leonard Henry Courlander I will identify his date of birth followed by future posts which show his marriages;children and data on his later life in Australia.
    Leonard Henry was born 24 Feb 1878 The Woodlands Lower Teddington Road Hampton Wick. He married Maud Eva Phillips 27 July 1904- she was the daughter of Samuel Phillips and Amelia Solomon. Maud was born 18 Feb 1879 at 3 Randolph Crescent Paddington London and died 13 July 1941 at 26 North Gate Marylebone. She was the first wife of Leonard.
    Leonard and Maud divorced ( I will add data on this) and Leonard re- married to Edith Cater 4 Nov 1920 daughter of George Cater - Mechanical Engineer( I will add data on this marriage). Leonard and Edith also divorced and by 1943 Leonard was living in Australia at 6 Brougham St Darlinghurst West East Sydney NSW with Gwendoline May ( Mary) Elmes ( I will add more on this relationship).
    Phillip

The following data confirms the divorces of Leonard Henry Courlander to Maud Eva Courlander - see National Archives UK Divorce Court File- Jan-Dec 1919 - Appellant Maud Eva Courlander- Respondent Leonard Courlander; Divorce - Leonard Henry Courlander -Apellant- Respondent Edith Courlander Jan-Dec 1931.
    Edith was to re- marry Marriages March qtr 1933 Paddington 1a 136 - Edith Courlander-Frederick BOHNE.
    The UK Outward Passenger List recorded- Mrs Edith Bohne b abt 1900 Southhampton to Brisbane 13 Sept 1933
    Phillip

Default EDITH BOHNE NEE COURLANDER NEE CATER

As a follow up to the second divorce involving Edith Courlander nee Cater here is data on her marriage to Frederick Charles BOHNE - March qtr 1933 Paddington 1a 136 Edith Courlander- Frederick Bohne. Frederick Charles Bohne was born March qtr 1896 Fulham 1a 295 and appears in a trial for assault as a steward aboard the Inter state steamer at Port Adelaide - The Advertiser Friday 4 Dec 1914 and later a record of him joining the AIF Brisbane in 1917.
    He appears with Edith between 1935-36 at 13 Homefield Court Belsize Grove NW3 in the London Electoral rtegisters and in the UK Incoming Passenger List - Mr Frederick C Bohne 71 Woodlands Grove Coulsdon Surrey Retired Barman 40 ; Mrs Edith Bohne 38 home duties. Brisbane port of departure Arrival Hull 10 Sept 1936 on the ship 'Lang Bay'.
    Probate- Frederick Charles Bohne 27 Church Road Surrey died 18 July 1948. Probate- Lloyds Bank £2692. 7s 4d.
    Edith appears in the NZ Electoral Rolls - Edith Bohne 1954-1957 at 2 St. Leonards Road Auckland North Shore widow. I can't locate her death record in NZ or Australia but will look further. The reason for her settling in NZ appears to have been because her son Roy Nicholas Courlander was living in Aucklnad North shore - 27 Killarny St publisher with his wife Margaret Josephine Courlander -director 1954-57 same address. Edith appears in the UK Outward passengers lists for 5 July 1952 Southampton to NZ- Mrs Edith Bohn 54 1 Brunswick Place Hove Sussex - housewife.
    Phillip

Default GWENDOLINE MAY COURLANDER NEE GOODA NEE ELMES

This post fills in some data on the third wife of Leonard Henry Courlander. By 1943 Gwendoline May Courlander and Leonard Henry Courlander were living at 6 Brougham St Darlinghurst West East Sydney both listed as manufacturers.By 1949 the Australia Electoral Rolls show Gewendoline May Courlander and Leonard Henry Courlander living at 3 Beach Road Edgecliff Woollahra NSW. Leonard is a manufacturer but there is no description of what trade he was in. Between 1954-1963 the couple were living at Redlands Road Capalaba Moreton Mount Gravatt Queensland. By 1968 Gwendoline was living alone at 65 Greenacre Rd Blaxland Greenacre NSW.
    Gwendoline's son Bruce James Gooda and his wife were also living at Blaxland -15 Jean St Chullora NSW. Marriage Records show that Gwendoline Mary Elmes was born April qtr 1899 Christchurch Hampshire 2b 646 and she married Sydney J Gooda Jan qtr 1917 Chelsea 1a 792.
    Some sources give a date of 1970 for the death of Leonard Courlander but details are not given. There is no reference in the Australian Marriage Records for Leonard and Gwendoline but they may have married elsewhere.
    Phillip

Nannas

Not sure if you are after any input but there is 1929 passenger records for a 50yo Mr L COURLANDER (occ: planter) and 31yo Mrs E COURLANDER to Sydney..last address being Newham. Steyning. Sussex. but last permanent address as Scotland.

Also a 1939 passenger record for 56yo Leonard COURLANDER (occ. merchant) to Sydney,,,,last address Point Ho (?) Hotel, The Grove Blackheath.

There is a 1967 death for leonard Henry COURLANDER ...01MAY1967 Death 89 late of Greenacre (Ryerson Index)

NSW BDM Index
    18995/1967 COURLANDER LEONARD HENRY LOUIS GERTRUDE BANKSTOWN

Sydney Morning Herald 3 May 1967
    ""COURLANDER Leonard Henry - May 1 1967, of 65 Greenacre Road, Greenacre, dearly beloved husband of Gwendoline, loved father of B**** and fond father-in-law of R*** and dear grandfather of D*****, R***** and W****. Aged 89years. At Rest"

Nannas

Marriage from NSW BDM
    23383/1948 COURLANDER LEONARD HENRY to GOODA GWENDOLINE MAY at NORTH SYDNEY

Nannas

There is a NZ Death (NZ BDM) for a 62yo Edith BOHNE in 1958.

Many thanks for this data. It helps fill in gaps relating to my Hart/Courlander paternal lines. I do have access to the NZ and Australian Newspaper archives online but had not spotted the information you have kindly posted on.
    Phillip

Nannas

Quote Originally Posted by Nannas View Post
    Also a 1939 passenger record for 56yo Leonard COURLANDER (occ. merchant) to Sydney,,,,last address Point Ho (?) Hotel, The Grove Blackheath.
    Sorry this date should be 1934...not 1939...

Nannas

Nannas

Sydney Morning Herald 24 Jul 1967
    ""In the Will of Leonard Henry COURLANDER late of 65 Greenacre Road, Greenace. In the state of New South Wales, retired shopkeeper deceased -- Application will be made after 14 days from the publication hereof that Probate of the Last Will and Testament dated 8th October 1954 (could be 1964 hard to read) of the above named deceased may be granted to Gwendoline May Courlander the Executrix named in the said Will and all notices may be served at the undermentioned address...""

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast