Thread: Griffiths

Lynn Hancock

Default Griffiths

I am researching the Griffiths family of Gwenndwr. They farmed at Gletwen Fawr in the 19th century. I have traced back to Elinor born 1808 but cannot find the dob or dod of her husband William or marriage. I would welcome help from fellow descendants or researchers. I am the great grandaughter of their youngest son James.

Procat

Hi Lynn,

This is not a lot of help but at least it gives you a smaller window for his death - if you don't already have this information of course.

1861 Welsh census:

Civil Parish or Township: Gwenddwr
    Ecclesiastical parish: St David
    County/Island: Breconshire
    Sub-registration district: Builth
    Source information: RG9/4207
    Registration district: Builth

Folio: 66
    Page: 4
    Household schedule number: 15

Glitwen? Farm

Elinor Griffiths Head Widow 52 Farmer of 90 acres of lands employing 1 man, Born Gwenddwr, Breconshire
    James Griffiths Son Unmarried 17 Ditto son Born Gwenddwr, Breconshire
    John Davies Grandson 10 Grandson Born Gwenddwr, Breconshire
    William Griffiths Servant Unmarried 44 Ag Servant Born Gwenddwr, Breconshire
    Jane Jones Servant Unmarried 18 General Servant Born Diserth, Radnorshire, Wales

The same page also has a Thomas Griffiths and family, farmer Age 45 Born Gwenddwr, Breconshire. Let me know if you want these details as well.

Lynn Hancock

Smile Griffiths

Thank you for the 1861 census - it does help and yes I would like the info on Thomas as this name reappears in the next generation so he could be a brother.

Procat

Hi Lynne,

1861 census

Civil Parish or Township: Gwenddwr
    Ecclesiastical parish: St David
    County/Island: Breconshire

Source information: RG9/4207
    Registration district: Builth
    Sub-registration district: Builth
    Folio: 66
    Page: 4
    Household schedule number: 13

Gyrnas?

Thomas Griffiths Head Married 45 Farmer of 120 acres of land employing 2 boys Born Gwenddwr, Breconshire
    Ann Griffiths Wife Married 38 Farmers wife Born Llangremarch, Breconshire
    William Griffiths Son 9 Farmers Son Born Gwenddwr, Breconshire
    Thomas Griffiths Son 2 Farmers Son Gwenddwr, Breconshire
    David Price Servant Unmarried 21 Carter Born Crickadarn, Breconshire
    John Pritchard Servant Unmarried 11 Carter Born Llangremarch, Breconshire
    Ann Evans Servant Unmarried 26 General Servant Born Abergwesyn, Breconshire

Lynn Hancock

Thank you once again for your help - will follow up Thomas and see if I can fit him into the tree.

mymac51

Hi Lynn

Not sure if you will already have discovered this as it is so long since your original post. James Griffiths was baptised at Gwenddwr on 23 April 1844 - Illegitimate child of William Griffiths & Elinor of Gletwen Fawr. I don't think they ever married but Elinor was married previously to William's brother John who died in 1840. Her maiden name was Davies and they were married at Gwenddwr in 1829. John and Elinor had 4 children - Mary (1831), John (1833), David (1836) and William (1839).
    John & William's parents were William & Mary Griffiths of Llether Greithyn, Gwenddwr. 1841 census shows William & Mary with sons James, Thomas, Joshua, Benjamin and David. They also had a daughter - Mary, who married David Williams and they farmed Bailyhalog. There are several Griffiths and Williams memorials at Bailyhalog Chapel. If I can help further please let me know.