Default Husb. on Marriage cert.

Got a marriage record, George Thurman, husb., & Joane Pepper ,spr.

Am I correct in thinking that this indicates that George is a husbandryman, ie a farmer with animals, and it is nothing to do with his marriage state?

Thanks,

Bob

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Bob..

Can you please give us the full details?

Sue

MythicalMarian

Pretty sure that George is a husbandman and Joane is a spinster, yes. But as Sue says, to be absolutely sure we would need to have the full reference.

Hi, both, thanks for the replies.

Using Ancestry;

Vol. 1. Nottinghamshire marriage licenses. Archdeacon's Court. p 167 of 1472

(page heading of original =) 1636] Notts Marriage Licenses 151

July 18 GEORGE THURMAN, of West Leake, husb., & Joane Pepper, p. St. Nicholas, Nottm., spr.; at St. Nicholas.

Regards,
    Bob

MythicalMarian

I would say this is definitely: 'George Thurman of West Leake, husbandman and Joane Pepper, the parish of St. Nicholas, Nottingham/Nottinghamshire, spinster, at St. Nicholas' (meaning the licence was for that church). Have you been able to ascertain whether the marriage did go ahead?

Thanks.
    No, I can't find the marriage on line, nor, in fact, any other reference to George. I might go over to Notts archives for a nose around as I am not confident that all Notts. St Nich's marriages are on line. At this stage I am cataloguing Thurmans in that area as a part of reviewing my tree so knowing he was a farmer adds another fact to triangulate my logic.
    I have to say that I did assume the marriage took place, I guess from your question that this is not a done deal?
    Regards,
    Bob

All sorts of reasons why it might not have happened. Always best to confirm it eh?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

OK. The only information that I am using is that a farmer named George Thurman lived in West Leake in 1667. He may have married a Joane Pepper from St. Nichs at St Nich's church. Until I have any other information on a George Thurman those facts will have to stay catalogued.

Regards,
    Bob

pippycat

Bob

The parish records for Nottingham have the marriage record for George Thurman and Joane Pepper taking place on 8 July 1636 St Nicholas, Nottingham...that's all the info, no mention of husbandman.

There were a few more Thurman marriages, no idea if any are relevant to you, but here they are just incase!

Henry Thurman and Ann Hardey (both of Bramcote)
    27 Oct 1605 Bramcote.

John Thurman and Margret Keightly
    14 June 1660 West Leake.

Ralph Thurman and Sarah Waren
    14 June 1658 Stanford on Soare.

William Thurman and Sarah Robotham
    9 Nov 1663 Gotham.

Thomas and Miriam Allin
    4 July 1674 Broughton Sulney.

Ralph Thurman (of Broughton Sulney) and Ann Hutchinson
    12 July 1684 Broughton Sulney.

Francis Thurman and Elizabeth Oldham
    25 June 1759 Blidworth.

Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca, I was confused by this because the marriage takes place on the 8th and the license is dated 18th. I can readily accept that some-one has misread the original and they are the same date but that would have the license issued on the same day they married.
    Whatever, I am only really interested in the fact that George existed at this stage. If I manage to link him into my tree I will look a bit closer but that seems a long way away.

The license very often gives more information than the simple statement of marriage.

I had all the other marriages, thanks.

Regards,
    Bob