Dorset Girl

Default Edward or Edmund DANNEL - are they the same?

Greetings members - I have been away from digging for a while but am now trying to tie up a lot of loose ends and have struck (yet another) problem.

My 4 x g g is an Edmund DANNEL, m to a Hannah HELLIER in Moreton, Dorset on 11 Oct 1779. The witnesses were not related as far as I can see.

I cannot find a birth for a Edmund DANNEL, who according to his Death was born in approximately 1748. There are no DANNEL's in Moreton, even using alternate spellings of the name (one of his sons was named as a DANIEL.

The only close match I can find is an Edward born in 1748 but in Tolpuddle, Dorset, which is about 5 miles away.

My dilemma is - could Edward be Edmund but for some reason the name was changed when he married - or am I grasping at that elusive straw again???

Would appreciate any feedback from members on this.

Regards,

Marion
    Last edited by christanel; 30-06-2013 at 2:58 AM. Reason: links to commercial sites not allowed. The url only linked to the signing in page anyway.

Dorset Girl

Sorry - the actual birth for Edward DANNEL is shown at ...
    Last edited by christanel; 30-06-2013 at 3:00 AM. Reason: links to commercial sites not allowed. The url only linked to the signing in page anyway

Hello Marion, it is good to see you back on the trail of your troublesome ancestors.

I have had to remove your links to the commercial site but they only took us to the signing in page.

Can you give us the details of what you found?

Christanel

Dorset Girl

Sorry Christanel - have been away so long had forgotten that!!!!

Right -

Parish: Moreton. Banns of Marriage Edmund DANNEL marriage - Edmund DANNEL and Hannah HELLIER both of this Parish were published on 12th, 19th & 26th of Sept 1779 with Prohibition married in this Church by Banns this eleventh day of October 1779. Signed by Edmund DANNEL and the mark of Hannah HELLLIER. Witnesses: David HOOPER & Mary HOOPER.

Parish: Tolpuddle. 1748 Jul 28 Edward son of John and Luce DANNEL Baptised

Thanks,

Marion

Loves to help with queries

My experience lies in Lancashire but the common abbreviation at that date for either Edmund or Edward was Ned. It's my belief half of them had no idea which name was theirs. The confusion between the two names persists into the censuses, cicilysmith