AnnHood

Default Cambridgeshire criminals

At least two of my ancesters appear per records found on Ancestry to have criminal records for larceny & theft. A William Atkin in 1816 was sentenced to death for larceny of the person at Cambridge and a William Atkin aged 65 was sentenced to 7 days for larceny in 1839 .at the Isle of Ely Court
    As is often the case there were several William Atkin(Atkins) in the Ely /Coveney area at this time. Are there likely to be another records which might help me to sort out which William was which or whether any of these are my ancester. I won't be surprised as life in the fens was tough & fasmilies were big . Greavances strong!
    Thanks Ann

Brick wall demolition expert!

I would look in old newspapers. If you don't have a subscription to any of the on line sites, then why not try your local library?

richard40

,It appears William Atkins aged 28yrs appeared in the Ely/ Littleport corn riots and was found guilty of two charges, can't seem to find the sentences, many were on various charges, about 12 were hanged, many more transported, and some sentences commuted after spending time on a prison hulk in the Thames.
    It does appear you are seeking two different people as this one would have been in 1839 51 yrs old not 65.
    He seems to have been charged with others of stealing and also obtaining with menacing.

richard40

forgot the date of the offences were May 1816

richard40

I have since located the sentence sheet, 5 were hanged, 14 transported, 5 for life the rest for various periods, however your William was found guilty on two counts and received a 12 month prison sentence, not the death penalty as previously thought.
    Google Ely Riots 1816 and all these details can be found.

AnnHood

Thanks. Will do next time am in Town. Cambridge Collection located in thwe Central Library has a good range on microfilche
    Ann

AnnHood

I wasn't sure if my William was part of the Littleport riots as had failed to remember the date as 1816 & that the records gave his age. So my 4th great grandfather was quite a character & it looks like was still active in his old age !
    Thanks

joshsutton

Ann

I'm currently researching the Ely & Littleport riots of 1816 as part of a broader project looking at 'food fights'. Do you have any other information about Mr William Atkin? I'd be keen to chat with a descendant of the rioters (possibly yourself?) as part of my research and for inclusion in my writing. Hope you hear from you josh (dot) sutton @ mac (dot) com

AnnHood

After further research I realised I was wrong. The William Atkin I thought it was was born in 1757 & died in 1827 in Witcham

I added this note to his record on my family tree on Ancestry. He had a son William Winter Atkins but he died 1802:Per other sources the death sentence for Littleport Riots for some rioters, including William Atkin, was reduced to one years imprisonment in Ely Gaol and then subsequently altered to transportation for 7 years to Australia. Again this was amended to a year in Goal. DoB of William Atkin ,rioter would be 1788 It is now clear that this was not the same William Atkin nor the one who also had a criminal record in 1839 aged 65. Age difference is too much
    I assume you are aware of other literature on the riots.......If I can help further do not hesitate to contact me
    Ann smile5:

Edit Delete

joshsutton

Many thanks Ann. My quest for a real live descendant of the rioters goes on. All Best. Josh