Aliciamp

Default Thomas, Carpenter in St Davids

My great grandparents are difficult to trace as his name was Thomas, very common in Wales. I was told he married a Martha Bowen, the story is that she was daughter to a farmer and was lame needing to wear built up shoe. Her husband, again this is only word of mouth, but was named Daniel Thomas after home my grandfather was named, this couple eloped to Swansea where my grandfather was born, Their other children I know were Daniel, John, Samuel, I think Thomas and a daughter.

They and the family, other than John who stayed in Llanelly, moved to Newport.

If anyone has any possible knowledge I would love to hear from you.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Although you don't give any dates, I did search the marriage index for a marriage between Daniel Thomas and Martha Bowen in either Pembrokeshire or Glamorganshire, and can't see one.

I think therefore you need to work backwards methodically.

Do you have your Grandfather's birth certificate? If not what about their child, your parent. If you know when they were born, or better still have a birth certificate, then that will tell you both parents names, and give you a time frame to look for your grandparent's marriage certificate.

That will in turn tell you more facts which will help you going back to look for your Grandfather's birth.

Aliciamp

I have found an entry in the 1901 census it is for Samuel Thomas, this would be my grandfather's brother, aged 8. the family matches with Daniel Thomas, Head of house, aged 41. This would mean he was born 1860 which would be about right, and the mother is Mart Thomas (hopefully shortening of Martha) aged 40. Siblings are correct. However, this is in Swansea, where Daniel and Martha supposedly eloped to to get married. I am hoping to find out something about their families in the St David's area.

My grandmother was Alice Thomas and she married Daniel and Martha's son Daniel, they were my grandparents, and my mother lived with them for a number of years. My mother was Dorothy her brothers William and Daniel. My mother was born in Swansea but they moved to Newport where they worked on the docks.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1901 Census references are Piece: 5063 Folio: 72 Page: 7. In my view “Mart” is more likely to to be an abbreviation of Margaret than Martha. All of them say that they were born in Swansea.

The same family appear in the 1911 Census, and there the wife’s name is clearly Margaret. Again they all say that they were born in Swansea.

I think it unlikely that this is your family.

From your second note I get that your grandparents were Alice and Daniel Thomas. Do know when either of them was born? When was your mother born, (not the exact date just the year and location)? This can help us find Alice and Daniel’s marriage.