LynneOz

Default David Moses Lewis b 1865, Bodfari, Flintshire

Looking for the family of David Moses Lewis b Dec Q 1865 in Bodfari.

1871 Census for Bodfari has a Moses Lewis living with David and Elizabeth Lewis at Poenticfrynon. David was born 1811 at Llanlanan.

In 1881, David M Lewis is recorded in the home of John Jones (b 1833) a grocer and general dealer of Abergele in Denbigh. David Lewis is listed as an assistant grocer.

In 1891 David appears to be in Ancoates in Manchester with a wife Mary and daughter Mabel. He is listed as a grocer's assistant.

In 1901 David has graduated to being a shopkeeper grocer working on his own account in Harpurhey in Manchester.

I believe David Moses Lewis may have married Mary Garlick, daughter of James Garlick and Helena Jones. If so she is the "lost" sister of my gggrandfather, James Garlick. There is a marriage entry for Lewis-Garlick in the June Q 1888 in Manchester but I am not sure if this Mary is the right one.

Any assistance would be great.

Hello LynneOZ
    Looking at the 1891 census David Moses Lewis and mary Garlickdo appear to be the couple who married in 1888. The other male and female on the page Daniel Cronin and Amelia Mary Stenhouse are together in 1891 with an 8 month old son and Amelia Stenhouse mother-in-law.

I can't find a marriage for this David and Mary on familysearch so no help there or on Lancashire OPC.
    Lancs OPC does have this marriage
    Marriage on the 8 Aug 1894 Christ Church, Salford, Lancashire, England
    James William Jackson Walker - 25, Analyst, Bachelor, 10 Aldred Street
    Mary Garlick - 25, Spinster, 19 Park Place
    Groom's Father - Joseph Walker - Manager
    Bride's Father - James Garlick - Clerk
    Witnesses - Charles Howard Sidebottom, John Garlick, Emily Garlick.
    Married by Banns by Fred Knight

What can you tell us about your lost Mary to help us identify her?

LynneOz

Thanks Christanel

In 1871 James Garlick (my gggrandfather) and his wife Helena (Jones) are living in Earl Street in Ardwick, Manchester with Mary (5, b Stockport), John William (8mths, b Manchester) and Helena's mother, Mary Jones (63, b Wilmslow, Ches). James is working as a railway guard.

In 1881 James and Helena are living in Upton Street in Chorlton on Medlock with John William (10) and Ruth (8). Mary Jones has since died. For quite some time I assumed Mary (b 1865) had died prior to 1881. However, at some point, I noticed that next door to James and Helena was a grocer, Samuel Ardam (49, b Wilmslow, Ches), with an assistant, Mary Garlick (14, b Stockport) listed as a niece. Trying to place Samuel ARDERN has been a whole 'nother story!!!!! There are several but all are elsewhere with other people in 1881.

Helena's birth certificate identifies her mother as Mary ARDERN. I have not found Mary Ardern's birth record nor her parents but her census data indicates a birthplace of Wilmslow.

Mary is not listed with the family in 1891 but she would have been 24 and therefore, if still alive, quite possibly married. Doing a search of the St Cath's records I found the marriage of David Moses Lewis and Mary Garlick in 1888. The occupations listed for them in 1891 certainly fitted and made sense. The burrowing I have managed to do about the Jones family certainly indicates that Helena's paternal grandfather was most likely to have been Welsh from either Denbigh or Flintshire. Therefore, such a union as David and Mary Lewis seems to be quite in line.

However, as you say, there is nothing on FamilySearch nor on OPC indicating Mary's parents. Of course, the next step must be to request the marriage certificate for David and Mary. I floated the query just in case anyone had any other information which may have pointed to her parents. Both James and Helena died prior to 1901 and it appears that David and Mary moved to Wales when they retired. Unfortunately, Ancestry records for Manchester do not cover this marriage and I suspect they were probably married in Chorlton on Medlock rather than at the Cathedral.

Thanks for your help.

Hi LynneOZ
    Yes the marriage cert should clear it all up and if ordering on line from the GRO you can order without filling in the vol/page number but use the father's name. This all happens on the second page of the order form from memory.
    This way the GRO will search a year each side and if they can't find the correct one they won't charge.

Christanel

Hi LynneOZ
    You have certainly done all the background work and it does looks like the marriage cert is needed to clear it all up. If ordering on line from the GRO you can order without filling in the vol/page number but use the father's name. This all happens on the second page of the order form from memory.
    This way the GRO will search a year each side and if they can't find the correct one they won't charge.

Christanel