Pat English

Default Jane Bricknell of Jersey

In the 1861 census my great great great grandmother Jane Bricknell says she was born in Jersey round 1817. Could anyone confirm this, please?

According to her marriage certificate her father was Thomas Bricknell, probably from Winchester/Hampshire, who was a chairmaker (or there's an outside chance it's chainmaker). But he could have been from the Channel Islands himself.

Thanks,
    Pat

Stewart Hill

Smile

Jane

I see you've not had much luck with regard to replies.

Unfortunately the Records Office is only open during limited times and it's quite difficult to schedule in. However, I'm on holiday part of next week so on Thursday 1/9 I'll go down and have a look for you.

Do you have any more information other than Jersey? The island is divided up into Parishes, and there is a book for each one. It's not essential, but may help.

Stewart
    (from sunny, hot, Jersey)

Pat English

Default Jane Bricknell -- thank you for the offer

Well that really is beyond the call of duty, but it would be wonderful if you could have a quick look for me.

I'm afraid I do not have much information, although I guess I would start with St Helier as I did find a Sarah Bricknell there aged 20 in the 1841 census.

I am also not positive about the year. Jane was first married in 1836, for which I have no age, but when she married in 1853 she said she was 38 (the handwriting is bad -- it looks more like 30, but that's unlikely given her first marriage), which would give a birth year of 1815. Her second husband was only 25, which would be good reason for her to underestimate her age.

But I am banking on the 1861 Census being right, in which Jane said she was 44 and born in Jersey. Widowed again by then, she would not have had such a good reason to lie...

I can't thank you enough for trying to help...

Pat

Stewart

Thumbs down

Hi Pat

Well, not good news. I looked through all 12 Parishes plus the non-conformist baptisms from the start until 1842 and couldn't find the birth of any Bricknell's. In fact I looked through all the B's to check for mis-spelling - but nothing.

I also checked the 1841 census but again nothing (you can look at the index for the 1841 census at https://members.shaw.ca/jerseymaid/ )

Thought that I would check the marriages and there was one Bricknell:

John Briknell mariied Mary Crocker in St. Helier on 3rd March 1823.

So a brick wall I'm afraid.

Stewart

Stewart

Pat

Just noticed I I have spelt John Bricknell wrong.

Stewart

get2BJ

Wink Bricknell

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart

.......So a brick wall I'm afraid.

Stewart
    Was that pun intended Stewart!?!

Brenda

Pat English

Default Thanks for trying

Well, thanks for trying! That must have taken a lot of effort.

At least you have saved me a trip to Jersey.

I am now back to wondering if it was Guernsey, even though the census said Jersey, and some connection with Jacob (from Winchester) and Henrietta Bricknell, who came back from Guernsey and had a daughter called Jane in Devon in 1817.

Best wishes,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Hi Pat

Well, not good news. I looked through all 12 Parishes plus the non-conformist baptisms from the start until 1842 and couldn't find the birth of any Bricknell's. In fact I looked through all the B's to check for mis-spelling - but nothing.

I also checked the 1841 census but again nothing (you can look at the index for the 1841 census at https://members.shaw.ca/jerseymaid/ )

Thought that I would check the marriages and there was one Bricknell:

John Briknell mariied Mary Crocker in St. Helier on 3rd March 1823.

So a brick wall I'm afraid.

Stewart

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Pat,I don't know how far you got with all this, but I am a Bricknell descendant and have a lot of original doc's going back to the 18th century including birth certs,wills etc. Not sure if you will get this but please let me know.

Larry D