Thread: journeyman

DeeFM

Default journeyman

In 1871 my great grandfather was a 16 year old painter alongside his father.

Married in 1877 (I'm waiting on certificate to see his occupation).

The 1881 census has him as 'plasterer'.

On the birth registration in 1889 of his daughter, my great grandfather was described as 'plasterer journeyman' - great grandma was the informant.

In 1891 he was recorded as 'tiler and plasterer'.

My understanding of the use of journeyman is that the person would have finished his apprenticeship. Was it necessary in the 1870s and 1880s to be an apprentice or could he have just learnt the trade while working. Were apprentices paid in that time period? I can't imagine him supporting a family (they had 2 children by 1881) without some form of payment.

I don't understand the use of the word 'journeyman' between the census records where it was just 'plasterer'.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

The meaning of Journeyman.

A tradesman who has served his trade apprenticeship and mastered his craft, not bound to serve a master, but originally hired by the day. The name derives from the French for day - jour.

Steve.

I think in this case it probably means that he is no longer an apprentice but is working for a master. He is not yet a master plasterer himself and does not employ anyone.

If he worked for his father and learned his trade that way he would still have to "serve his time" and probably in the first few years would not receive a wage, at least not until he had progressed beyond mixing and carrying the plaster for the plasterers.
    My Grandfather was a master alabaster plasterer and used to do all the fancy cornice work you see in big houses. He never did an apprenticeship he was taught by his brothers-ilaw when he came out of the navy after WW1
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time