Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ERNEST HENRY HART 1867-1931

This post fills in a gap relating to my great grandfather Ernest Henry Hart 1867-1931 who was born in London and died in South Africa in 1931. Further data on him and his families can be seen on the South African Genealogy site under " Ernest Henry Hart- Gauteng Johannesburg".
    This data is intended for my Hart South African distant cousins and my Crawcour South African distant cousins because the Hart/Crawcour lines relate via marriage. As a brief summary, the birth of Ernest and his sister Constance appears in "The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70" transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Pub Robert Boyd- p145 under Henry Chapman Hart ( the father of Ernest and Constance)- Birth 28.1.1867 at 20 Burton Crescent WC a son. and earlier at the same address Birth 17.12.1865 a daughter. The grandparents of Ernest were Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Crawcour.
    There are no GRO Birth records for Ernest or Constance.
    The Burial of Ernest Henry Hart is recorde on the JHB Brixton Cemetery Gauteng Johannesburg- Site 44a Ernest Henry Hart age 65 Year born 1866 died 14/7/1931 buried 14/7/1931- See South African Jewish Rootsbank The SA Jewish data base Cemeteries.
    Phillip

Default ADELAIDE GERTRUDE HART NEE YZERMAN 1872-1956

This post provides data on the Death of Adelaide Hart nee Yzerman wife of Ernest Henry Hart 1867-1931. I posted on the marriage and separation of Adelaide Yzerman and Ernest Henry Hart on a much earlier thread on the South African Forum under Ernest Henry Hart- Gauteng Johannesburg.
    The GRO Death Certificate for Adelaide indicates that she did not re-marry.
    GRO Death Record-

8 May 1956 St.Giles Hospital Camberwell -Adelaide Gertrude HART 84 years 377 Coldharbour Lane Lambeth widow of Ernest Hart a Turf Commission Agent- Cause of Death Terminal Streptococcal septicimia; Congestive cardiac failure due to mitrial stenosis- Informant - B Catlin causing the body to be cremated 377 Coldharbour Lane SW9

Probate- Adelaide Gertrude Hart otherwise Adelaide 377 Coldharbour Lane London SW9 widow died 8 May 1956 St.Giles Hospital Camberwell London SE5 Probate to Neno SHEPHERD widow effects £304.
    The London Electoral Registers show Gertrude Adelaide Hart 377 Coldharbour Lane Norwood 1939 indicating that Adelaide was living at the same address for some years.

Phillip

Default ERNEST HENRY HART -ELIZABETH SHAW DEATH

This post provides new data on the Death Records for Ernest Henry Hart 1867-1931 and his partner Elizabeth Shaw 1882-1923 who died in Johanessburg Transvaal South Africa. The information is taken from original copies of their Death Records available online from FamilySearch (Copyright National Archives South Africa Pretoria).

The first notice for Elizabeth Hart nee Shaw is recorded in the online record index as Elizabeth Hart Hart. Importantly, the record contains a note in pencil where the maiden name for Elizabeth is recorded as HART and the word 'correct'. Who gave this information is not recorded but all previous data on Elizabeth including the Divorce Petition in London by Adelaide Hart nee Yzerman the wife of Ernest Henry Hart refers to Elizabeth's surname as SHAW.
    I am looking further into Elizabeth Shaw to determine her place of birth and parents.

A family tree provided by one of my South African Hart cousins gives the dob for Elizabeth as 17 December 1883 born England.
    The Death Notice for Elizabeth states:
    Elizabeth Hart born HART 113 Hopkins Street Yeoville Johannesburg age 41 European Married born England Occupation Domestic Duties
    Death 12 January 1923 113 Hopkins Street Yeoville Johannesburg
    Burial New Cemetery Johannesburg
    Cause of Death
    Dysentry 1 week
    South Africa Transvaal Civil Death 1869-1954

There were 5 children born from the relationship between Ernest Henry Hart and Elizabeth Shaw- Winifred Amelia Hart b 1903 England; Bernard Henry Hart 1905-1959 died Johannesburg;Beatrice Ruby Hart b 1907;Lionel Lewis Hart 1910-1973 died Johannesburg;Marie Louise Hart 1914-1997 died Johannesburg.

As previously referred to in earlier posts Ernest Henry Hart left his first wife Adelaide and his daughter Constance Amelia b 1889 and left the UK under significant financial difficulties which were published in a range of newspapers including The Times. He also received a short prison sentence together with one of his business associates. In addition, there was at least one newspaper article where he was alleged to be the father of a child born to a Daisy Wheeler in London.
    His mother Amelia Hart made no reference to Ernest in her will in 1928 other to refer to him without his name as the father of Constance and her son. She left him nothing.

On the death of Elizabeth the children are alleged to have been placed in an orphanage but I have no confirmation of this.

The Death Notice for Ernest Henry Hart shows:
    Ernest Henry Hart 65 years European Widower Commercial Traveller
    Death 14 July 1931 Johannesburg Hospital
    Residence 18 Portland House Commissioner Street Johanessburg
    Intended Place of Burial New Cemetery Johannesburg
    Causes of Death
    Septic Toe Joints with commencing Gangrene; Delirium Tremors About 1 week in hospital

Elizabeth may have been buried in the New Cemetery but records confirm as previously posted that Ernest was buried in the Jewish Cemetery Brixton Johannesburg.

Importantly, during the same period of time that Ernest Henry Hart was living in Johannesburg his close Crawcour relatives were also in the area.
    Whether or not they associated is not known.

Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default BEATRICE RUBY HART b 1907 SOUTH AFRICA

This post adds new data on Beatrice Ruby Hart b 1907 daughter of Ernest Henry Hart and Elizabeth Shaw. The records can be found on Familysearch.

The following data relates to the 3 marriages of Beatrice Hart:
    1 Transvaal 18 December 1930
    Philip Sydney BENNETT 28 b New Zealand bachelor Surveyor address Boks..?

Beatrice Ruby HART spinster 22 b Transvaal spinster hair dresser address Boks..?

Witnesses M.COPPEL, D .J ?

2 11 February 1947 Durban Natal
    Joseph Roberts WAGGOTT 47 b England Divorcee Race horse trainer 28 Cobham Grave Durban

Beatrice Ruby Bennett born Hart Divorcee b Transvaal florist 388 Currie Road Durban
    Witnesses G.RUTHERFORD,J.A.JOHNSTONE

3 25 June 1952 Durban Natal
    Allan James PATTERSON 43 widower piano turner 34 Eureka Court Durban

Beatrice Ruby Waggott formerly Bennett born Hart divorcee 42 Florist 34 Eureka Court Durban
    Witnesses- T.A BALE, M.BALE

National Archives of South Africa -NASA Durban Archives

Divorce 1954
    Restitution of conjugal rights
    Allen James Patterson-Beatrice Ruby Patterson formerly Waggott formerly Bennett born Hart

A Hart cousin has said that Beatrice came to England but I have yet to confirm this or when she died.

The following 2 Marriage Records from Familysearch show the first marriages of Allan James Patterson and Joseph Robert Waggott:

9 March 1929
    Allan James Patterson 23 b Transvaal bachelor piano tuner 77 West Street Durban

Carol WEBER 21 b Natal spinster Matubatuba?? Zululand
    Witnesses G.E.Osborn, ?

22 October 1923
    Joseph Robert Waggott 23 bachelor race horse trainer Cape Town

Grace ATKINSON spinster 22 typist Cape Town

Witnesses
    Thomas Waggott,J.T.Atkinson

The following records relate to the husbands of Beatrice Ruby Hart:
    UK Incoming Passenger Lists
    Arrival Southampton 1 December 1933 from Cape Town
    Philip S Bennett residence in UK 2 Kenton Street Harrow Middlesex Surveyor 30
    Beatrice R Bennett 24 no occupation

Philip S Bennett 36 residence in UK 12 Kenton Avenue Harrow Middlesex Mine Surveyor
    Beatrice Ruby Bennett 30 housewife
    Departure Beira Mozambique Arrival 1 August 1939 Southampton

Death Philip Sydney Bennett 4 December 1964 Cape Town souse Evelyn Margaret Bennett

Joseph Robert Waggott b Tyneside died 1966 Zimbabwe -married- 3rd marriage *** There is an Ancestry Public family tree on the line

Default MARIE LOUISE HART b 1914 TRANSVAAL

This post requires further research and is intended for my Hart distant cousins specifically the South African relatives descended from my great grandfather Ernest Henry Hart 1867-1931 and Elizabeth Shaw. Familysearch have provided further records on the South African lines and in this post I am providing data on Marie Louise Hart born 1914 Transvaal who died 1997.

Currently, I have seen no birth record of Marie but there are Marriage Records for a Marie Louise Hart born 1914 Transvaal. The marriage records do not have parents names and I am always cautious about relying just on matching names and dob without further proof of parentage.

The following data therefore is open to further research and verification and I am hoping Hart relatives may provide further clarification.

MARRIAGES:
    Benoin Transvaal 31 March 1937
    William Reginald HUNT 39 b England Divorcee -Rigger-179 Elston Avenue Benoin

Marie Louise HART 22 b Transvaal spinster -hairdresser-179 Elston Avenue Benoin
    Witnesses-E.Smart,G.C.Thomas

2nd Marriage

20 April 1957 Johannesburg Transvaal

Frederick Olif LARSEN 55 b 18.2.1902 Barberton Transvaal -16 Cleveden Court Malvern Johannesburg Divorcee-Turbine Driver (firm)

Marie Louise HUNT born HART b Johannesburg Transvaal 42 born 30.11.1914 Divorcee Machinist (factory)
    6 Cleveden Court Clevedenway Malvern Johannesburg
    Witnesses-A.J.Kirsten, C.C.Wesgels

Divorce- Frederick Olivier Larsen 1955-Elizabeth Susan BREWER

Death
    William Reginald Hunt age 67 b 1897 Ramsgate Kent Death 11 February 1965 Brakpan Transvaal South Africa bORN 26.5.1897 Married -Telephone operator Daggafontein Mine-Cause of death Carcinoma address 22 Grey Avenue Nazac Brakpan -Burial Brakpan Crematorium

Divorce-William Reginald Hunt-Violet May Hunt nee SCHULTZ formerly FERREIRA 1960

I have not currently located any births or baptisms for children of Marie Louise and William Reginald.

Default WINIFRED AMELIA HART b 1903 ENGLAND

This post provides data on Winifred Amelia Hart b 1903 England the daughter of Ernest Henry Hart 1867-1931 and Elizabeth Shaw. The Familysearch records contain the original copies of marriage, death and baptism for Winifred, her husband and her children. The documents are from South Africa where Ernest and Elizabeth settled. In this thread and an earlier one I have provided data on Ernest Henry Hart including his 1st marriage, divorce and daughter Constance Amelia Hart my grandmother.

Marriage
    20 July 1929 Johannesburg South Africa
    Norman STUPART 36 b Transvaal bachelor -Amalgamate-84 Leicester Road Kensington Johannesburg

Winifred Amelia HART 24 b England spinster Telegraphist 448 ? Johannesburg
    Witnesses-Ch.Eaton,H.G.M.N

Baptism-Dulcie Elizabeth Stupart b 18 August 1932 baptised 25 August 1935 Parents Norman and Winifred living at 927 Lanlaagte Royal Crown- father Mill shiftman
    Witnesses Marie Hart,Mabel and Douglas Stupart

Other children-Douglas Bernard b 21 August 1937; Kenneth Norman b 10 September 1930

Probate
    Norman Stupart b Johannesburg South Africa died 2 March 1967 73 years 10 months Reduction shift boss- Mines.
    72 Queens Road Mayfair Johannesburg Married. Spouse Winifred Amelia Stupart born Hart
    Children- Majors- Kenneth Norman,Dulcie Elizabeth,Douglas Bernard.
    Witnesses J.A H? A.E.Glasson

There are further Familysearch records on the lines including marriage of the children and grandchildren of Norman and Winifred but these appear to be still living descendants and I will not post on them.

Nb For my Hart and my other distant cousins I have had printed and bound 2 large volumes plus addendum on my Anglo Jewish and associated family lines. These volumes ( a further addendum is being organised for printing) contain family trees and wide ranging sources totalling almost 1000 pages.

Default LIONEL LEWIS HART 1911-1973 JOHANNESSBURG

This post provides data from Familysearch on Lionel Lewis Hart 1911-1973 son of Ernest Henry Hart and Elizabeth Shaw.
    Marriage
    4 February 1932 Johannessburg
    Lionel Louis Hart 23 b Transvaal bachelor occupation ? 30 Cavendish Road Yeoville Johannesburg

Ellen Doris Neale 23 b Cape Province spinster no occupation 132 Hopkins Bellen ? Johannesburg
    Witnesses ? J Erasmus

Sons- Ronald Sydney Hart 1933-2019; Clive Stanley Hart 1935-2019?

Death
    Lionel Lewis Hart age 62 Death 12 February 1973. Burial 26 February 1973 Johannesburg Gauteng Crematorium
    Home address 260A 7th Avenue Bez Valley Johannesburg

These are the Marriages of Ronald Sydney Hart and Clive Stanley Hart:
    Elim Hall Op De Bergen Street Fairview Johannesburg 4 February 1956

Ronald Sydney Hart
    22 b 8.7.1933 bachelor -Medical Technology b Johannesburg Transvaal Address 260A 7th Avenue Bezviden Hout Valley Johannesburg

Wandrina KLEIMAN spinster 23 b 18.6.1932 Amsterdam Netherlands
    Milliner Address 16 St.Ives Avenue Mayfair North Johannesburg
    Witnesses D Hart, J H Kleiman

Marriage
    Elim Hall 88 Op De Bergen Street Fairview Johannesburg Transvaal

Clive Stanley Hart 23 bachelor b 6.6.1935-clerk b Germiston Transvaal Address 260A 7th Avenue Bez Valley Johannesburg

Jillian Annetta FORD 21 b 21.8.1937 Spinster-clerk born Bristol England Address 30 7th Avenue Highlands North Johannesburg
    Witnesses R S W Ford, D Hart

Default BERNARD HENRY HART 1905-1959 JOHANNESBURG

This post provides data on Bernard Henry Hart 1905-1959 son of Ernest Henry Hart 1867-1931 and Elizabeth Shaw.

Marriage
    11 April 1936
    Rosebank Union Church Johannesburg Transvaal

Bernard Henry Hart 30 b South Africa Bachelor Managing news agency Johannesburg

Kathleen FERRIS 32 b South Africa Spinster- Johannesburg

Death Certificate
    Bernard Henry Hart
    Cause of death Acute broncho pneumonia
    Address Corner of Louis Botha Avenue and Thirteenth Street Orange Grove Johannesburg -Braamfontein Crematorium Johannesburg
    Death 11 September 1959 Harley Nursing Home Johannesburg age 54 b 15.8.1905

Married -Director of Companies Place of birth Transvaal

There is a separate Burial Record- Bernard Henry Hart age 56 **** This has been deleted and 54 inserted
    Death Harley Nursing Home 11 September 1959 Burial 14 September 1959 Braamfontein Crematorium. Type of table Marble or ? Usual address Louis Botha Avenue Orange Grove Johannesburg 1525. Remarks -Mrs K Hart The Vale G... 350 Louis Botha Avenue
    Nb Some of the handwritten notes on the record is difficult to read

These records are from Familysearch who are adding new records to their data bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast